Getting started with smoking

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Getting started with smoking

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 19 Nov 2016, 08:19

Nothing to add to what the lads have said and I think uds probably a good way to go to save the cash.

Enjoy
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby EcoWoodBBQ » 19 Jan 2017, 10:34

Thanks a lot @Grumpy and @Tiny.
Great insights provided here.
I recently started experimenting with smoking and other BBQ related recipes. I am looking for more insights and more directions as I am currently writing a book about the myths and facts of smoking. Any help, suggestions, and directions would go a long way. Thanks once again!
Cheers!!
EcoWoodBBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Location: Drayton Manor Business Park, Coleshill Road, Tamworth, B78 3TL

Postby BobbyBBQ » 08 Apr 2017, 07:33

Hello!

I too am new to smoking and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

I've had one go already at smoking and the problem I found was getting the temperature up high enough (I have a cheap bullet smoker while I work out whether I can do this and it's worth investing in a more expensive one).

Maybe I had too much water in the tray?

Maybe I didn't have enough coals?

On the coals subject, do I put a layer of unlit coals in the tray first and then cover them with burning coals )(lit in a Weber chimney)? Or should all the coals be burning before they go in the smoker tray?

Ay advice on how to get the temp right would be much appreciated.

TIA,
BobbyBBQ
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 14 Apr 2017, 07:12

Morning,
Couple of suggestions, you want a mix of lit and unlit coals in your fire basket, have a look for "minion method" on you tube and this should see you right. The water pan is best filled with boiling water from a kettle or better still either fill it with sand and put foil over the top, or wrap a ceramic plant pot base in foil and stick this on top of the empty pan. Many folk think the water panis there for moisture reasons but it is only to act as a heat sink to keep the temp steady. Your choice of charcoal will also make a difference, there is an eternal argument on lumpwood or brickettes and most seem to favour a good quality briquette like Weber or heat beads.

Hope some of this helps
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)