Getting started with smoking

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Getting started with smoking

Postby InfantHercules » 14 Nov 2016, 17:06

Hi,

I've just joined the site today and a have a newbie question relating to smokers. I've had a glance though the forum and couldn't see this asked elsewhere but sorry if it has been asked and i've just missed it.

I've never smoked before but after been a long time admirer of smoked meats I've decided I should take the plunge and give it a go myself. I've spent a few days trawling the internet for advice and reviews on buying a smoker but as you can imagine, it's a little daunting. I don't have an exact budget but i'm not very well off so whatever I spend will have to be very considered purchase.

All of my research has pointed me towards the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker based on quality/value. I've not jumped in to buy it for a few reasons:
- It's a financial stretch i'll struggle with over the festive season (I know it's comparatively cheap to others but still . . .)
- It's quite a lot to spend on something i've never done before

I'd like advice on whether there's a starter smoker that may not be great but will be a good introduction as a first smoker. Like, if you were trying tennis for the first time you'd probably just get a billy basic racket from sports direct.

I'd also like to know whether I should completely rule out some of the wooden smokers that you can get on ebay? They look beautiful but I have a feeling temperature control etc will be tricky.

Any initial thoughts would be great. Feel free to fire any questions at me if you need more info in order to answer.

Thanks
InfantHercules
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Getting started with smoking

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 15 Nov 2016, 14:42

Hello and welcome! You'll find the forums to be an excellent way to learn about smoking, some great people on here. In their absence, I'll do my best to help though. I bought my first smoker a few months ago, having spent months researching it and mulling over the options, so hopefully my experience might be useful in helping you pick one.

I opted for a ProQ Frontier Elite, having been very tempted to get a WSM (too expensive for me and not modular, which I've found offers better control when using both grills), and can honestly say I've been delighted with it so far. I do regular-ish backyard cooks for a couple of friends max, and provided you allow ample time (and I mean a lot of time - regardless of which smoker you get, smoking meat needs time above everything else, so clear your weekends and buy some beer!), you'll get good results with a Weber or a ProQ, or any quality brand to be honest. I'd avoid ebay and stick to the main brands and sellers that you'll see mentioned on forums like this one - good support and build quality will be important in the smoker giving you years of faithful service. In terms of temp control, the bullet style smokers are very simple to operate (though everyone has an off day occasionally), and they maintain a steady 225-275F no problem, perfect for low n slow.

I don't want to ramble on too much about my own smoker here as i'll start sounding like an advert for that brand, but do ping me a pm if you want any specifics or advice on them.

Hope you get that smoker soon, whichever one you plump for - it's the finest way of cooking yet devised!

Gareth.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby InfantHercules » 15 Nov 2016, 15:44

Thanks Grumpy Jonze. Really appreciate your response.

I did briefly look at the ProQ smoker and the main reason I was leaning towards the WSM was simply because WSM had so many more reviews. It’s good to hear that ProQ has a thumbs up from you.

After my opening post, I scanned deeper into these forums and found a pretty solid recommendation for a Green Mountain Grill. I’d initially decided that charcoal was the way forward but after watching a few GMG videos on YouTube I’m now thinking that a pellet smoker might be the best option (Not that I can afford a GMG). Did you consider pellet smokers when you were researching?

I’m also beginning to consider 2nd hand smokers. There aren't many on GumTree etc but I've noticed this forum has a sales section and some of the smokers that have sold in the past look like they were good deals and might be a good option for getting my foot in the smoking door!
InfantHercules
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 15 Nov 2016, 16:55

Welcome chum,
You ask an eternal question, but always happy to help if I can as have seen this one asked several times.

There is a guaranteed win answer.

Start with a Weber 57cm kettle, now you cant do a 16lb packer cut brisket on it but I would counsel against this as one of your early outings anyway. Coals on either side and meat on the grill away from them and you will have no bother nailing a whole chicken, a pork shoulder or a few racks of ribs (for the latter search ikea pot lid tidy as this will be much cheaper than a bespoke rib rack) and of course it has the excellent ability to work beautifully as a proper grill, one of its advantages over the traditional bullet smoker.

Option 2 if you are short of cash. Make anUgly drum smoker, there are many DIY options or I believe you can buy a kit from Bristol drum smokers or papa somebody, just search the web and you will find one. Most concur that they are ugly as there name suggests but hold temps actually better than either the Pro Q or the WSM. Most reckon if you are reasonable with the tools you can get one in for under the ton.

As for the WSM or Pro Q there is no wrong answer, both are fine bits of kit, but are very orientated toward long lo and slow cooks so this is smoking “hardcore” particularly in winter.

Avoid cheap tat like you would avoid eating your own hair and or setting fire to your private parts, no good can come of it. They look like the real deal but mostly the steel is thinner than kitchen foil, they will leak like a sieve and will be down the tip by next autumn, may as well as set fire to the money, if you have £40 spend it on meat not a cheap smoker.

A couple of health warnings.
You will need a decent thermometer, Maverick ets are rated and a thermos pen
Don’t buy a cheap chimney starter (search fekety fek dance)
Cheap charcoal is again setting fire to money, don’t do it
Self lighting charcoal is abhorrant and the product of Satans ball bag
There is a risk that you will want a forced air system if you go for a bullet, this will cost you a few quid.

So buy a kettle you will always use it, when I purchased the last Q Mrs Tiny insisted that the 9 couldn’t stay, the Weber kettle was the only one to get a pardon….

And finally……sell a kidney buy a green mountain grill…I did, well not the part about the kidney anyway….

Hope this helps, Go well soldier
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby InfantHercules » 15 Nov 2016, 17:19

Thanks Tiny. That all sounds like good advice.

The cheap tat you mention, would this include a Brinkmann? They’re suspiciously cheap and whilst they’re rated 4 out of 5 on Amazon I’ve discounted them simply based on the few negative reviews that they do have. What are your thoughts?

When I get home later I’m going to take a look at DIY options. I’m terrible at DIY but myself but it might be a good project for me to set one of my friends!
InfantHercules
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 16 Nov 2016, 10:57

I think I'd concur with what Tiny says - especially about cheap charcoal and self lighting rubbish, I had a terrible time with some cheap briquettes producing more ash than Vesuvius during a long cook. Worth remembering that the Pro Q (and probably the WSM I imagine), being modular, works just fine as a kettle grill - so you get double the fun really.

I didn't consider a pellet smoker, no. For me it takes the fun out of it - I really wanted to enjoy the idle time sat watching the smoker and enjoying a beer whilst the meat cooks - and that has indeed been one of the joys of smoking low n slow these past couple of months. I highly recommend getting a copy of Aaron Franklin's book for some inspiration and tips on getting into smoking. At some time I fancy progressing to a self-built offset smoker burning all wood, but that's a few years off yet!

I think my advice would be to maybe wait till you've saved up enough for a Pro Q or WSM and get one of those - they make fantastic starter cookers, and should serve you well for years. Once you take the plunge you'll never look back - everything tastes batter with smoke.
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby InfantHercules » 16 Nov 2016, 12:23

Thanks Grumpy.

I think it's likely I'll either take your advice on the proq/wsm or maybe even go down the route of a Self built UDS (with help from a friend).

I'm wondering if Black Friday will see any reduced prices on smokers? Has this been the case in previous years to your knowledge? If you aren't sure I'll probably post it as a desperate question on the forum. :D
InfantHercules
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Grumpy Jonze » 16 Nov 2016, 14:06

Afraid not - I think Black Friday's more for the high street! But many of the big bbq/smoker suppliers (google WSM or ProQ and you'll see the main ones) do tend to have sales on over the winter period, so it's worth keeping an eye out over the next few months. Good luck with it all!
Grumpy Jonze
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 16 Nov 2016, 20:38

Ah the ECB or el cheapo brinkmann, amd in the same way the Landmann Tennessee smoker. There lads who swear by them, but most have heavily modded and adapted them to make them work, if you are the kind of chap that has a 1971 triumph stag in the garage then this may be the option for you, for me this is not the option.

Using the WSM or pro Q as a grill is heartily endorsed by the Royal College of Chiropracters, the grill will be less than 12 inches off the floor and I could not recommend this as an approach.

I stand by my assertion to buy a kettle.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby InfantHercules » 16 Nov 2016, 22:24

Thanks both for your excellent advice.

It looks likely that i'll be taking the following approach:

1) Commission my friend to make an UDS. The barrel is getting collected tomorrow. We haven't made a decision on design but I think it' worth a go.

2) Borrow a Weber Kettle and have a go at smoking in the kettle.

3) Depending on how points 1 and 2 go, buy a ProQ or WSM

Thanks again for the advice!
InfantHercules
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)