Home made mini kamado heat deflector

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Home made mini kamado heat deflector

Postby Leodensian » 19 Apr 2017, 10:10

I have a mini Kamado and had been having great difficulty sourcing the frame and heat deflector. The guy I bought the Kamado does do them but is out of stock and won't be getting them in again for around 8 weeks. So been sat scratching my head and searching vainly for an 8" pizza stone to use. I fashioned the frame from a microwave grill rack. And after going through 3 terracotta plant pot saucers which all cracked on use decided on a different tack. I raided the wife's baking cupboard and requisitioned a 9" shallow cake tin, had a quick trek down to Screwfix for a small tub of ready mixed fire cement. I filled the cake tin to around 2cm depth and left it in a warm oven to go off. This morning double wrapped it in thick aluminium foil and it's good to go. And still have around 2/3 of a tub should I need to replace it.
Leodensian
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Home made mini kamado heat deflector

Postby frankel » 06 Jun 2017, 19:26

hi has this worked ok? i also have small kamado 14 inch and its hard to get accessories so improvisation good
frankel
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Home made mini kamado heat deflector

Postby frankel » 16 Jun 2017, 21:16

i have used an old 15 cm le creuset cast iron dish direct on the coals and it seems to work ok
frankel
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)