Help!!!

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Help!!!

Postby Davenico » 07 Aug 2017, 18:40

Hello I've just bought a second hand 18 inch smokey mountain
I've set it up tonight the water pans full it's been running for 35 mins and at the moment I'm at 270 deg f with one of the vents barely cracked
There's no food in there am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Davenico
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Help!!!

Postby smokeybry » 09 Aug 2017, 21:18

Sounds hot, my new 57cm (22.5") wsm, with water in the pan, with restaurant grade lumpwood from Makro using the minion method (I start with about half a chimney of lit lumpwood) sits around 230-260F with all 3 vents around half way or less, it starts cool and slowly warms up as more charcoal lights, when the temp starts to drop off I have to open the vents some more to maintain temps. I have ran it in varying conditions, some wet and windy, some dry and windy.

I have ran my WSM 4 times so far since it arriving a few weeks ago and have used the minion method everytime.

How much charcoal are you lighting to start with?
smokeybry
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Help!!!

Postby Tiny » 10 Aug 2017, 09:10

Hi,
2 possibilities, if you have your smoker positioned where there is a draft this could see more air coming in than ideal but more likely is that you started with 2 many lit coals. If next time you start with 2/3rds of what you had last time this should help. Easier to bring temp up than down.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)