“Afterburner” Hanger steak on a stick

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

“Afterburner” Hanger steak on a stick

Postby Minesamojito » 05 Jun 2012, 11:58

Hanger steak is a great misunderstood cut of beef, there is usually a thin coarse piece of gristle than runs through the middle, and so it is often slow cooked to tenderise this. But if cut correctly against the grain and discarding the tough bit, then this is such a good steak cut, very beefy and savoury with a lovely texture. These Hanger steaks were from Pipers Farm once again, and were outstanding in their quality.

The other thing that needs to be known is that they need to be cooked very quickly, as they toughen up if cooked past medium-rare, and the quicker you cook them the better. To this end, I decided to emply the “Afterburner” cooking method using a BBQ chimney starter, the heat at the top of one of these is ferocious once it gets going and this would be a great way to get BBQing for someone with limited space. So I fired up the chimney starter (which can be bought in most DIY chains) with Lumpwood charcoal until it was raging hot.

I had cut the steaks into long slithers, I popped on a little BBQ rub and slid onto some pre soaked bamboo skewers. Use a sheet of foil to stop the ends of the skewers burning, and pop them onto a grill grate from a BBQ.

These babies took simply seconds to cook, the heat was that intense, a simply amazing way to cook this wonderful cut, they were wonderful and deep flavoured, and about as tender as a steak gets.

Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: “Afterburner” Hanger steak on a stick

Postby BBQFanatic » 05 Jun 2012, 13:33

Goodness, that looks great. I have never really found hangar steak readily available, but have eaten it and it was prepared in a very similar fashion, charred over a very hot fire and served immediately. I have used the afterburner (love that name), method for other steaks as well, you get a fantastic char on the outside but you also get a good rare-medium/rare going on in the inside... Thanks for the pic!!
BBQFanatic

Postby Minesamojito » 05 Jun 2012, 13:58

Thank you :)
It's not easy, but a good butcher should be able to sort you out.
It's a lot beefier in a great way than a lot of other steak cuts, I love it!
Love the "Afterburner" too ;)
You're welcome, been doing a lot of grilling recently as well as the low'n'slow stuff
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby timh » 05 Jun 2012, 20:30

This looks just like the 'feather' steak they sell in Waitrose' meat counters
timh
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 06 Jun 2012, 08:01

It certainly has the same grain and collegen marbling patterns
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 06 Jun 2012, 08:46

I think hanger comes from near the flank, whereas the feather cut comes from near the blade.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 06 Jun 2012, 10:49

Love the marbling on that, looks damn sexy.

going to have to try that, i think.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 06 Jun 2012, 11:24

Yes I think do too, the hanger steaks are thicker with a line of gristle running through the middle, I just cut slithers off either side of this. So would be similar to feather. This was really high quality beef too.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 06 Jun 2012, 19:46

KamadoSimon wrote:I think hanger comes from near the flank, whereas the feather cut comes from near the blade.

The flank (think belly ) runs into the blade (think spare-rib - butt) so very similar in quality.
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 06 Jun 2012, 20:34

Ok - i isn't a butcher ;-)

I did a bit of gooooogling on this - most sites seem to think that hanger comes from below the diaphragm of the cow (ie the muscle 'hangs') and (according to wikipedia) is known as skirt in the UK. Whereas the feather steak comes from up by the blade on the shoulder of the cow.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)