“Afterburner” Hanger steak on a stick

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Re: “Afterburner” Hanger steak on a stick

Postby keith157 » 07 Jun 2012, 05:17

The problem here is that there is so much variety in what different butchers from different counties, sometimes even towns, call various cuts and joints of meat. Just hark back to the topic about what one member got when he ordered a brisket from his butcher. Sorry wasn't trying to preach :oops: I haven't been a butcher for nigh on 36 years and I would lay heavy odds on that my boss then would be "banjaxxed" by what goes on in a shop these days. :shock:
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 07 Jun 2012, 06:55

Know what you mean. The two butchers I use have totally different reactions to the request for the same cut.

In the US the different cuts of meat are registered / defined by a government agency. Is there something similar in the UK?
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 07 Jun 2012, 07:51

I don't think so. There's three butchers at the shop I get my meat from and they all cut slightly differently.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 07 Jun 2012, 08:11

I think part of the problem that we have in the UK is with the way that butchers are trained and how a lot of butchers get their meat.

It seems that a lot of butchers don't get any formal training, they tend to be tought by other butchers in the shops which then means that there is no consitency in what people are tought. You've also got to factor in that we are now asking for cuts that no one asked for 10yrs ago let alone 20-30 yrs ago when my butcher did his training.

Also more and more butchers are buying their meat in ready broken down which means that they don't see half the cuts of the animal only the prime cuts.

If you're unsure if a butcher is any good you can always look out for if they are a Q Guild Butcher http://www.guildofqbutchers.com/

Although you can always work with your existing butcher but give them a copy of this cutting guide that i posted a couple of months back this should help you get what you want.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2074
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 07 Jun 2012, 08:59

Nicely put Ed, as I mentioned in a different post I went to the College of Distributive Trades (CDT) at Smithfield for 3 days but was stopped as they didnb't teach what my boss wanted. He did his training in the East End and used "Kosher Cuts" i.e. getting the most number of joints from a dise of beef rather than seam Cutting which tends to follow the natural muscle groupings. There is a butcher I'm aware of who has a couple of young lads who are only shopfront cutters i.e. everything comes in plastic bags and all they do is slice lumps and chunks off them. "Leg of lamb sir, I can have that in tomorrow" "Okay can you keep the chump on it to make a large joint please?" ".......................errrmmm I can get you a separate chump if you want?" And so on....
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 14 Aug 2012, 19:52

Reserecting an older thread here - sorry-ish...

But i tried this tonight - used feather steak strips which had been soaked in Wicked Good home made BBQ sauce for an hour.

I'll be doing it again tomorrow, as this was with previously frozen feather steak and we had too much for two people. Will take photos to post then.

But WOW - totally delicious and tender steak.

Thanks for the recipe...!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Aug 2012, 08:11

Pictures as promised - this will become a staple meal it was just so damn good!

Uncooked feather steak in strips on skewers on the Kamado Joe:

Feather steak cooked in strips on skewers on the Kamado Joe:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQFanatic » 21 Sep 2012, 11:45

I picked up a Bavette steak from Godfreys, and decided to do it afterburner style -

Bavette cooked for about 3.5-4 mins in total.

BBQFanatic

Postby aris » 21 Sep 2012, 11:56

This gives me an idea. This is almost like cooking in a tandoor. Using metal skewers one may well be able to dip them inside the vessel. Use a larger vessel, and it would be just like a tandoor minus the clay interior to cook a naan on.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)