mmm steak

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

mmm steak

Postby thelawnet » 13 May 2013, 14:52

Just picked up a couple of USDA Prime Ribeyes:

They are delicious but a bit pricey....

What's your favourite steak?

How would you cook these? I can't decide whether to it over my Big Kahuna gas burner, straight on the chimney over charcoal, or inside the kettle over charcoal.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: mmm steak

Postby Tiny » 13 May 2013, 15:45

Hi,
Gone right off rib eye as the last few I have had have some kind of fishing wire sinew running through them which has really put me off, the last one was in a restaurant and I fed more to my guide dog than I ate myself.

So I am back to sirloin or rump. if forced to choose I would favour the latter with more flavour.

My mantra on cooking a steak is hot hot hot, so I reckon the volcano effect over the chimney starter is the way to go, hope your steak is sinew free!

Cheers
Tiny
PS from previous thread I did complain about the steak they offerred replacement but I took a freebie instead :).
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thelawnet » 13 May 2013, 16:51

Rump is a good cut. Fillet is a waste of money IMO, rather than buy cheap supermarket fillet (which is anything but cheap), you can buy a cheaper cut from a higher-quality cow, properly aged, and the result will be much better.

I was thinking more of the actual steak source rather than the particular cut though.

Perhaps you have to choose them yourself to really get a good one, I'm not sure.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PeanutZA » 13 May 2013, 17:22

Some of the best steak I have tasted I get from barbecoa butchery. My personal best is sirloin for flavour vs price point. Cooking it hot and fast over coals...hmmm...lovely.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
PeanutZA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)