cooking steak advice

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

cooking steak advice

Postby chrisbonnie » 26 May 2013, 17:34

Lads

Hopefully you can help me out a wee bit.

I was cooking some monstrous rib eyes last night. 700 gram in weight.

Here my issue, I pre heat the grill to its highest, then seat each side and give it the diagonal marks. Here's the thing. The steak is so thick the outside is well seared but the inside is still blue.

Should I take the steak off the heat and finish it off indirectly or just keep turning it on the high heat hoping that I went burn the outside to much?

Any help would be great lads.
chrisbonnie
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: cooking steak advice

Postby Catsup and Mustard » 26 May 2013, 17:56

I don't tend to cook 20 odd ounce steak much :lol: but I would be tempted to finish them off in the oven, or over indirect heat.
Catsup and Mustard
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chrisbonnie » 26 May 2013, 18:38

Sorry for all the typos. This predictive text on my phone is driving me insane :x

I think I answered my own question really. Indirect after the initial seating is done. I'll try that next time anyway.
chrisbonnie
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 26 May 2013, 21:35

Chris.

On bigger steaks you might want to try a reverse sear.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 27 May 2013, 03:36

Reverse sear works, I finish them in the oven though when I last had a half a cow as a steak is defeating my meagre brain cells.
keith157

Postby chrisbonnie » 27 May 2013, 17:47

Cheers for the info lads.

I was talking to my brother about these steaks today, we both agreed they where definitely too thick.

I think 500 grams is ample enough. :D

I'll try that reverse searing next time though.
chrisbonnie
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 27 May 2013, 18:05

I like cooking really thick steaks. We quite often do 5cm thick T bones that once cooked are cut into slices which we then split between a few of us. Normally I sear it both sides first then cook indirect until medium-rare.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Nutty » 18 Feb 2014, 21:57

Hi,

I like cooking big steaks too. My fave at the moment is instead of buying steaks, I cut a single rib off a dry aged rib roast and cook that.

I did a 900 gram one on valentinesnight. Sometimes I finish in the oven, but I follow the Hawksmoor steak rule which is a nice dark almost burned crust on the steak outside.

I had the steak out of the fridge 3 hours before cooking! A big steak will take quite a while for the internal parts to come up to room temperature. If its a big steak and hasn't been out the fridge over an hour forget it. You'll never get the inside cooked without having to finish in the oven.

Heavily seasoned with ELSCo steak rub, and kept on a high heat in the griddle pan. Once a good colour has formed on either side, I keep flipping every minute until the inside gets up to about 50/55 deg C. Then rest on a very warm plate and loosely cover with foil. Alternatively put in the oven set at 50 degrees. This will stop the outside cooling down too much and will continue with the heat delivery into the centre.

I added a knob of gentlemans relish to melt over while resting. The result was superb!

I'll try and post a picture if I can. The inside was perfectly medium rare edge to edge. Frequent flipping is the key to getting an even cook :)
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 19 Feb 2014, 09:03

I agree with you there Nutty. Booker have rib roasts on sale at the moment for 5.99/kg - I think I may have to stock up for the summer. Make excellent steaks grilled on the BBQ!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby FlashGordon » 19 Feb 2014, 13:01

This sounds like my sort of dinner

Nutty wrote:Hi,

I like cooking big steaks too. My fave at the moment is instead of buying steaks, I cut a single rib off a dry aged rib roast and cook that.

I did a 900 gram one on valentinesnight. Sometimes I finish in the oven, but I follow the Hawksmoor steak rule which is a nice dark almost burned crust on the steak outside.

I had the steak out of the fridge 3 hours before cooking! A big steak will take quite a while for the internal parts to come up to room temperature. If its a big steak and hasn't been out the fridge over an hour forget it. You'll never get the inside cooked without having to finish in the oven.

Heavily seasoned with ELSCo steak rub, and kept on a high heat in the griddle pan. Once a good colour has formed on either side, I keep flipping every minute until the inside gets up to about 50/55 deg C. Then rest on a very warm plate and loosely cover with foil. Alternatively put in the oven set at 50 degrees. This will stop the outside cooling down too much and will continue with the heat delivery into the centre.

I added a knob of gentlemans relish to melt over while resting. The result was superb!

I'll try and post a picture if I can. The inside was perfectly medium rare edge to edge. Frequent flipping is the key to getting an even cook :)
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)