Pork Belly

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Pork Belly

Postby dobba1988 » 12 Jul 2013, 10:43

Hi all

I recently purchased a gorgeous piece of pork belly from a local butcher. Now pork belly isnt something i had cooked before so and i knew it was a fatty cut of meat and would require low and slow for it to be considered edible. So i trimmed off the majority of the fat cap and seasoned the belly with a mix of spices.

I then placed the belly in an aliminium tray and cooked it in the oven for two hours covered in tin foil at gas mark 4.

I then took the pork to the screaming screaming hot grill of which the grates had been well oiled for ease of mobility.
I placed the pork on the grill and it immediately sizzeled cracked and popped with some lush high flames going on. I started pouring over the resting juices over the pork to help keep it juicy and moist.

After 15mins on the grill i took the pork off to rest for 10mins...

The meat was sooooo tender and juicy you would just not believe how easy it cut!
I served the meat with fresh red chilli and coriander roughly cut. Oh and of course and ice cold beer!

If someone is looking for something tasty and wants to try something new i can not recommend this highly enough. There was plenty left over the following day too which i made into wraps and took to work for bait...INCREDIBLE!!!
dobba1988
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pork Belly

Postby keith157 » 12 Jul 2013, 14:37

I'ts even better if you trim the skin off and cook that as crackling. I remove very little fat from the belly and if doing it in the oven I leave the skinn on and cook at 135 until I can't stand my mouth watering that much and we eat it.
keith157

Postby Tiny » 12 Jul 2013, 18:19

Sounds top delicious, really top notch.

If doing in the oven I put it in a tray barely bigger than the slab, then cook overnight at 100 c as the fat renders out it confits the meat and then at the end I crank it up to turn the skin to glass.

oh porky, oh porky, oh porky my love.

Your post has inspired me I shall purchase a belly pork slab forwidth,
Well done.
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby FlashGordon » 19 Jul 2013, 22:24

The top recipe sounds great. I'm a huge fan of pork belly.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mogwyth » 22 Jul 2014, 12:55

dobba1988 wrote: Now pork belly isnt something i had cooked before so and i knew it was a fatty cut of meat and would require low and slow for it to be considered edible.

Actually that's not true, we love our pork in this house and belly pork is one of our favourites, it's at its very best low and slow wherever you cook it, but can still be pretty darn good cooked at 150-60 for 45-60 minutes. And with a 4-5 day dry cure makes great bacon too.

We buy whole pork bellies and one will produce a slab for roasting/bbqing, another for curing, some strips for faster cooking and a rack of ribs, what more could you want.
Mogwyth
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Strongarm » 28 Jul 2014, 16:06

Pork belly works well boiled first too. Simmer for an hour and a half or two till tender then cool and dry and you can roast, grill or fry after that. The simmering helps remove some of the fat too, leaving it less greasy. This is a popular technique in posh restaurants and also in Chinese cooking.

It also does well low and slow on the BBQ. Did a piece for about 3 hours recently and it was tender whilst not pull apart.
Strongarm
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 28 Jul 2014, 18:30

Strongarm wrote:Pork belly works well boiled first too. Simmer for an hour and a half or two till tender then cool and dry and you can roast, grill or fry after that. The simmering helps remove some of the fat too, leaving it less greasy. This is a popular technique in posh restaurants and also in Chinese cooking.

It also does well low and slow on the BBQ. Did a piece for about 3 hours recently and it was tender whilst not pull apart.

Boiling :o that's banned around here :lol:
JEC

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)