Well I'll be Burger'd

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Re: Well I'll be Burger'd

Postby mcdodge » 16 Jan 2011, 19:22

I use Asda's 4 for £3 quarter pounders.

Nothing fancy, not the best in the world, but they always go down well!

(Waits for stoning...)
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 16 Jan 2011, 20:00

The Asda ones are alright, they did some with jalepenos and monterey jack cheese mixed into them.
LM600

Postby Vic. » 15 Feb 2011, 19:43

I've tried making my own but they don't turn out that well. There's a butchers near me which make fine burgers (firm meaty texture) only negative thing is the shape of them. They're small and thick. I like a wide burger for a wide bun
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Chris__M » 16 Feb 2011, 11:09

Vic. wrote:I've tried making my own but they don't turn out that well. There's a butchers near me which make fine burgers (firm meaty texture) only negative thing is the shape of them. They're small and thick. I like a wide burger for a wide bun

That's easy to fix. Take two small plates, place a burger on one, place the other plate on top, and press firmly, until the burger is the size or thickness you need. Repeat for each burger.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby LM600 » 16 Feb 2011, 20:53

Best thing about a burger IMHO???

Regular mince - getting techy...80% lean and 20% fat (it's the standard huh!)

Grab a handful

Mould into a ball

Press out into a patty about 1cm thick

Crimp in the edges and flip over

Press out again, pushing out the middle and crimping the edges (if that makes sense!) to about 1cm thick

Wrap in greaseproof paper and place on a plate

***R E A L L Y I M P O R T A N T ! ! !***

***Leave in the fridge (wrapped in greaseproof on the plate) overnight***

Heat your charcoal Q to high

Sear the burgers on each side - about a minute a side then move them to the opposite of the hot grill

Chuck a load of SOAKED wood chips onto the hot charcoal and immediately close the lid on the Q

Let the burgers steam / smoke until done..about 5 mins (I like them well done)

Done! 8-)
LM600

Postby oddsocks » 12 Jul 2011, 19:30

for what it's worth, i fancy my chances with burgers. what works for me is:

300g rump steak fat trimmed pulsed in the magimix until fairly course, you are not looking for a paste here.
200g steak mince
a few good tablespoons of butchers sausage rusk (or blitzed up white breadcrumbs at a push)
big onion
clove of garlic
1 beaten egg
salt and pepper

soften onion and garlic, leave to cool and combine with the beef. add s and p, egg, mix and slowly add rusk and make the judgement as to when its stiff enough for you, bearing in mind that you will now hand press them onto greased sheets, cover with cling film and leave to set in the fridge for at least an hour.

a friend of mine does this but puts a small slab of roquefort or st agur in the middle, which makes it a completely adult burger (IMO)

nice texture, will need to be pressed fairly flat as they will shrink width wise but grow fairly high whilst grilling.

hope this helps
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 13 Jul 2011, 10:01

I keep it simple and they turn out lovely and moist.
Two parts (trays from Tescos) minced steak to one part minced pork and a block of grated vintage mature cheddar.
Nothing else at this stage.
I use a £4.50 burger press from Lakeland, makes them about 6oz each. Make them up, stack in a big lock n lock and they need a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge.
Then just before grilling a little sprinkle of salt and pepper and Bob's your uncle.
If the eaters want to add tomato, lettuce, pickle, sauces etc to further flavour, it's up to them. But I like them simply in one of the sweet American buns with nothing more than a beer.
Did a batch yesterday and they went down a treat.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ed. » 13 Jul 2011, 15:31

I use the Jamie Oliver "Botham burger" recipe

http://www.grouprecipes.com/50505/jamie-olivers-botham-burger.html

I use Red Poll mince from the local butchers (my son thinks he picks out a cow for me from his classroom window) and these are always great.
ed.
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 06 Aug 2011, 10:47

I use good quality mince, not steak mince, from my butcher, add a mix of grated cheddar & mozzarella, some very finely diced & blanched red onion. I use the same Lakeland 1/4lb burger mould but use 6oz of mix, chill overnight and use the direct/indirect method mentioned. Salt & Pepper to taste before grilling. Taste good and my guersts haven't had to vist A&E. The cheese keeps them moist so I cook them to medium to ensure they are ok,
However I also have some Pure Welsh Black Beef burgers in my freezer for special occasions, from a farmer near Brecon so 100% provinance, these I will cook medium rare.
keith157

Postby chwalters » 03 Sep 2011, 14:18

As a yank, I vote for 100% beef and no filler. Anything else is called a meatloaf :-)

For forming them, use 2 dinner plates back to back, place ball of mince in the middle then push to flatten. Season with salt and pepper, maybe some soy or Worcester if you are feeling naughty. When grilling don't attempt to flip early and they shouldn't fall apart.

I'm new here so maybe this has been covered elsewhere, apologies...

ps, I like meatloaf
chwalters
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)