Crackling

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Crackling

Postby Verminskti » 26 Mar 2014, 17:24

So I grabbed myself a pork shoulder and got one with the rind still on with the idea to make some crackling.

1st. I struggled to get the damn rind off the shoulder. Xr50 knives that are effortless to cut most things and they were having none of it. Ended up going with a little serated knife and still struggling to saw through sinew and fat. Any suggestions either on knife, technique or other tool like scissors maybe.

2nd. How do you do yours? I've got mine scored and salted at the minute. Was going to oil and throw over a hot grill tomorrow at the end of a cook. This sound good to you guys?
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Crackling

Postby robgunby » 26 Mar 2014, 17:40

I usually get my butcher to remove it as his knives are far sharper and his hand far more skilled than my own. If doing it myself I use a long, slender. Taylor's eye witness carving knife. cut through the skin first if you can't get it off in one (if that makes sense)

I do mine in the oven with salt on.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Verminskti » 26 Mar 2014, 18:42

What sort of temperature?
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ConorD » 26 Mar 2014, 19:16

When I am cooking hot and fast I will pour a few kettles of boiling water down the from of a scored rind (either scored by the butcher or with a stanely knife). This removes a lot of the surface fat to allow for the bubbling that you want with crackling but doesn't add a load of salt to an already salty part of the meat.

I do this with pork belly as well and get awesome results.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robgunby » 26 Mar 2014, 23:31

Verminskti wrote:What sort of temperature?

Wood mark 5
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 27 Mar 2014, 06:58

The problem is not with your technique or knives but with the pork, there is less fat on pigs these days so actually cutting through the fat to remove the skin is very awkward these days. As to cooking I score mine in about 1.5Cm strips, salted on both sides then put it between two baking sheets to keep it flat and cook in a 200 degree c oven checking regularly and draining off the fat as needed. When cooked the crackling breaks easily along the scored lines giving crunchy goodness in a stick form.
keith157

Postby chokethechicken » 27 Mar 2014, 07:26

keith157 wrote:The problem is not with your technique or knives but with the pork, there is less fat on pigs these days so actually cutting through the fat to remove the skin is very awkward these days. As to cooking I score mine in about 1.5Cm strips, salted on both sides then put it between two baking sheets to keep it flat and cook in a 200 degree c oven checking regularly and draining off the fat as needed. When cooked the crackling breaks easily along the scored lines giving crunchy goodness in a stick form.

I must try that. Thanks.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 27 Mar 2014, 08:34

Crackling also freezes, should you not be able to eat it all, and Morrisons sell large squares of pork skin at a reasonable price. :D
keith157

Postby robgunby » 27 Mar 2014, 09:47

keith157 wrote:Crackling also freezes, should you not be able to eat it all, and Morrisons sell large squares of pork skin at a reasonable price. :D

Do you mean you can freeze cooked crackling keith? or just fresh? I have tons of fresh in my freezer ready for when the urge takes....
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 28 Mar 2014, 08:20

It freezes very well, we keep ours in poly bags (with plastic sealing clips for obvious ease of entry ;) ) allow it to come to room temp or warm through in a low oven. We've been doing it for a while, I got the inspiration when spending a fortune on the stuff M&S sell at Christmas.
keith157

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)