Pizza/Wings/Always Learning

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Pizza/Wings/Always Learning

Postby Deano » 27 Mar 2014, 15:13

Thought I'd give Pizza a go the other day. OH made the pizzas, I cooked. First one I was waiting for the top to brown, unfortunately the bottom burnt before it browned. The second one i took off earlier and it was great, cooked though nicely. So lesson learnt,- Pizza will not brown like a pizza oven obvious really, wood is not to the side, but heat is underneath, second lesson, don't put pizza stone over hot coals, it cracks!!

Been doing a lot of wings recently, cheap to do and try rubs on:-

Cajun:

Also made some with a Santa Fe rub and Hot Honey glazed ones.

However lesson learned here with both Santa Fe and Cajun rubs that I made at the same time was to ensure I read the herb jars properly, I thought the Cajun ones were a lot saltier than usual and it was only when the Santa Fe ones were the same that the cogs whirred and engaged, I had added Garlic Salt rather than Garlic Granules!!

Have to say i've been cooking mostly from the Weber books I have, I was looking forward to Steve Raichlens book "The Barbecue Bible", but haven't really done anything from it since I was given it at Christmas, I guess I find it hard to be inspired by text rather than pictures! Might think about a swap!

Hopefully I'll try some ribs soon, when I'm a bit more flush.
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pizza/Wings/Always Learning

Postby keith157 » 28 Mar 2014, 08:14

I find it useful with SR's books to use them in conjunction with his websites, saves you taking notes. There are loads of vids on the sites (or there were when last I looked) :D
keith157

Postby BRUN » 08 Apr 2014, 13:36

how long did the wings take ?.......and at what temp ?

did you use any wood ?
BRUN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jimbo89 » 08 Apr 2014, 19:52

I have been trying pizza too with mixed success. Got the weber pizza stone. Intend to order the Kettle Pizza from amazon soon and will post a review & photos. If anyone already has it I would be interested in hearing about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jimbo89
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby AlanL » 09 Apr 2014, 13:32

Jimbo, when I was recently at the Weber Grill Academy one of the exercises involved using their new Pizza Oven on a 57 kettle BBQ. I was surprised at how good a job it did. By having the vents at the back and the closer fitting lid it helps direct a warm air stream over the top of the pizza cooking the top evenly whilst the heat in the stone cooks the base.

It depends on how much you like pizza as to whether it's worth going for. Have a look out for the the Weber roadshow and see if they are doing a demo.

I opted for just the stone as I don't have a kettle BBQ at the mo.
AlanL
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Stu_C » 09 Jul 2014, 15:20

I had the same trouble with my pizza. I have a pizza stone, had the weber 57 jammed with hot coals and the temp was just under 300 degrees C, the bottom burned before the top could cook/melt properly. I have meat on top so needed to wait until it was done.

AlanL I too was recently on the Weber Grill Acedemy Thrill of the Grill part 2 and saw the Weber pizza in action, cooked perfectly. That's what made me get the stone. Looks like I might have to add one on my Christmas list. Looking forward to your update though.
Stu_C
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RobinC » 09 Jul 2014, 17:12

I've got the Weber Pizza Oven and use it quite often, probably every other week or so. The kids no prefer homemade pizzas to any store bought ones or take outs/restaurants. Never tried a pizza stone in a normal kettle though. I find with the pizza oven a really good tip is to make sure you roll the base so that it is really thin - just a couple of millimetres. The pizzas typically take circa 5 mins or so to cook.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 09 Jul 2014, 18:35

Pizza works best when you have something above it to reflect the heat back and brown the top, if you could work out a way to put another stone above the cooking one it would work quite well, not sure how hot you could get the WSM tho, my pizza is always done at 600 to 700
JEC

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 09 Jul 2014, 18:47

JEC wrote:Pizza works best when you have something above it to reflect the heat back and brown the top, if you could work out a way to put another stone above the cooking one it would work quite well, not sure how hot you could get the WSM tho, my pizza is always done at 600 to 700

Not tried it but according to article he was doing his @ 425oF (thick crust) avg 20mins and 525oF (thin crust) avg 10mins. I was thinking that having the lid on would deflect heat back down but dont think it says that.

http://www.twitter.com/@takinthebrisket
http://www.facebook.com/takingthebrisket
www.takingthebrisket.co.uk
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)