Carry over cooking.

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Carry over cooking.

Postby gavinbbq » 04 Jun 2015, 22:09

Hi all

I just wandered whether any of you take into account carry over cooking temps when cooking stuff like steaks on the grill. I have found that when cooking steaks over a high heat, if I take me steak off at around 40c and let it rest covered in foil for 10 minutes on a warm plate it comes out medium-rare.
I find carry over cooking a real headache when it comes to large joints.
What are your methods?

Gavin
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Carry over cooking.

Postby essexsmoker » 05 Jun 2015, 08:39

I would think it's all very dependant on thickness of meat, desired finishing temp, temp in the kitchen etc. I would say experiment with a set size cut and note it down.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Nutty » 05 Jul 2015, 21:25

Yeah this is one of those things that you pickup with experience.

After getting my 1st meat thermometer I was perplexed why my roasts were still overcooked. Like you say depending on the thickness and the amount of resting, and whether you cover with foil etc will all affect the final internal temp. Thick steaks and burgers rise about 4-5 degrees C for me. A big roasted joint easily by 10. You definitely need to factor it in for mastering the done-Ness.

Over time you just know what temp to take things off at for the way you like it.

Burgers I take off a bbq at about 50 aiming for 55 C after 5 minute rest.
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 06 Jul 2015, 14:17

I use a temperature logger on most of my smokes and have found that it depends on both thickness and cooking temperature. The thicker the meat and the higher the cooking temperature the bigger the temperature gradient is going to be within the meat itself and the more the IT will continue to rise when you remove it from the heat.

For things like burgers and sausages that are being grilled I have not noticed much difference as they are quite thin and you are cooking them to over 74 C anyway.

If you are hot roasting a joint at, say, 180-200 C (350- 390 F) then the IT of a typical joint will continue to increase by about 6-8 C (10-14 F) due to the continued heat radiation within the meat. This does not matter too much with pork however with Beef it will make the difference between rare and medium.

When smoking at low temperatures 110-120 C (230-250 F) during the cooking time the temperature has time to equalise throughout the meat and there is almost no further increase. I always cook my beef this way now as it also helps prevent the outsides from becoming overcooked.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 06 Jul 2015, 15:25

Yeah I think there are a lot of factors involved in it. I remember this Christmas we had a relative over and decided to cook a rib of beef (3rib) and I cooked at 200c in the oven with temp probe in it. I pulled it off at at 45c internal temp and it continued to rise to 60c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 09 Jul 2015, 09:25

wade wrote:I use a temperature logger on most of my smokes

Hi Wade. What logger do you use? I'm in the (slow) process of building one at the moment.

Sam.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 09 Jul 2015, 09:55

Hi Sam

I use a ThermaData TCD. It has 2 channels which I use to measure the IT of both the chamber and the meat. I set it to log every 60 seconds

http://thermometer.co.uk/24-data-loggers?gclid=CjwKEAjwt_isBRDuisOm1dTQqGISJAAfRrEABTSWhtVYKSrvsGD87PWoVUPCI1JN88Gy4MgwQ2xhphoCbS_w_wcB

It comes with free software (ThermaData Studio) that does a reasonable job of creating the graphs.

One thing I noticed early on was that a "stall" is not necessarily a "stall". I had what I thought was a stall, but when I later downloaded the logged data it showed a steady increase in IT throughout the entire smoke.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 09 Jul 2015, 11:18

That looks like a nice bit of kit wade.

I'm going down the budget route with an arduino. Just need to find the time to get it all set up.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)