Abandoned uds

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Abandoned uds

Postby Xeno » 20 Aug 2015, 20:45

A couple of months ago I embarked on a UDS build. I bought a barrel from a dealer on Amazon, which turned up no problem...except it had the dreaded liner..bugger.

After much web reading I deamed it better to get an unlined barrel ...which I did...brand new and unlined..cool.
I set about building my first uds with much enthusiasm.

Upon completion I couldn't help thinking about my lined barrel that was to be designated as an incinerator, and what a waste of a good barrel.

When I had finished my uds I had quite a collection of bits left over that were ment to be for the uds but never made it....namely a dome lidded bbq ( wanted the lid ) but in the end stuck with the barrel lid.

Long story short..I bought a blowtorch from amazon, which made light work of the dreaded liner and external paint.
Fitted the base of spare bbq 2 thirds down the barrel..cut a large hole in the bottom third of the barrel to fit an ash pan and drilled and fitted long bolts for the grill racks, uds style and painted with bbq paint.
I also cut the centre out of the drum lid and trimmed the unused domed bbq with an angle grinder and riveted the two together to form a good fitting lid.

End result..a bloody good upright barrel bbq...been used a few times since for general bbq'ing but after getting hooked on the bbq pit boys on youtube, I ventured further...today I bought two medium chickens and cut them in half lengthways put them on a rack in a tin full of cola and rubbed with bbq seasoning...cooked indirect...would post pictures but the dang things vanished so fast it was unreal.

I have always thought the standard bbq was never deep enough between rack and coals so building this has been a corrected gripe on my part, I'm happy to say I have achieved what I wanted, and the family are well chuffed with my offerings, to the point that the uds is...unfortunatly still unfired.

I hope to correct this very soon but so far my dodgy barrel that shouldn't be used is king :D
Xeno
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Abandoned uds

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Aug 2015, 09:39

At least you know your new unit is brand new and safe too. Any pics?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)