My Grillgrates

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

My Grillgrates

Postby bingo1912 » 13 May 2011, 17:16

Just a little chicken on my BBQ using the grillgrate to crisp things up. :)
Attachments
Grill grate pics (12).jpg
bingo1912
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: My Grillgrates

Postby British BBQ Society » 13 May 2011, 18:33

Thanks for the pic, as import is so high, especially with 20% VAT these will be easy to reproduce, looks like a thin piece of corrugated. Appreciate the idea.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 13 May 2011, 20:34

I'm intrigued by these, they look like a great idea. One thing I'm not so sure about is that the website states that they are designed to let fat drain through the holes but keep the juices beneath the food :?:

Maybe someone can explain the physics behind how this would work or is it just marketing speak :lol:

I mean we can buy el-cheapo perforated griddle foil trays in the Supermarket and the only difference I can see is that the rails are higher on the grill grates and of course they're reusable.

Anyone over here using these yet?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 14 May 2011, 00:08

Good to know you've used them Al, your first post sounded like you hadn't.

You make a good point about the cheap disposable griddle pans. To be honest I don't do much hot and fast but I have been considering a grill upgrade for when I do. Some of the best grilled food I've had has been off a cast iron grill.

What's your opinion on Grillgrates vs cast iron grills or the heavy duty steel ones like Huntingdon's do? If I do upgrade my grills I'll no doubt have to ship something in from the US so I can't just buy one of everything :( If you had to drop the cash on either Grillgrates or a heavy duty grill which would you go for?

Decisions, decisions....
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bingo1912 » 14 May 2011, 03:06

I'm not sure what the shipping is to the UK but with the dollar difference I would say you would do pretty well. I market 20" to the Mexican restaurants they love them for making Fajita's and throw away their cast iron grates
bingo1912
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Swindon_Ed » 14 May 2011, 06:44

Hi Steve,

Here's a link to a review of the grill grates which i'm not sure if you've seen before:

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_g ... rillgrates

I'm thinking of using them with my Traeger to make it better at cooking steaks and bits like that.
Swindon_Ed

Postby liomer » 22 May 2012, 18:46

Bought a set cut to Weber size, took to France, and cooked 2 meals - steaks and pork chops - over direct heat. No flare-ups, and the juiciest I've ever produced! Left them there - a bit greasy to bring back easily - and ordered another set for use in UK. Fantastic!! Certainly not cheap, after shipping costs,etc., but great (pun intended!) for an amateur like me. :D

Peter
liomer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 22 May 2012, 19:14

Peter - do you mind me asking what they cost you with shipping & VAT added? Cheers, Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 22 May 2012, 20:23

Well I must say given the choice(I am biased) cast iron for me,cast iron not only fit the whole surface of the grill they give great cross hatch markings on your food. Not so expensive and depending where you buy shipping is nominal.
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby liomer » 24 May 2012, 09:35

KamadoSimon - I got quite a few bits & bobs from the US at about the same time (not all BBQ related!), so I'll have to dig up paperwork re tax, etc. I'll probably be able to do that this weekend and I'll PM you.

BadBoyzofBBQ - Agree on cost, but you get great cross-hatch with the GGs, and no flare-ups plus the tool does it for me!

Peter
liomer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)