Barbecoa #BBshortrib

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Barbecoa #BBshortrib

Postby Steve » 10 Feb 2012, 22:32

When I was looking them over, said to wifey sod te comp let's just have ribs for Sunday dinner :D

I probably should have got an extra rack too. Might see my butcher for a chuck roll tomorrow and have pulled beef instead.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Feb 2012, 15:39

I heard someone say they wanted pictures...

Here you go!

This is the handing over of the beef ribs, I had a quick chat with the butchers and also one of the Barbecoa chefs that was in the shop, really good guys, loads of knowledge and their passion for their trade is fantastic. They also said that they're excited to see and taste all of the entrees on Monday night.

Whilst I was there I decided to pick up a practise set of ribs and my tools for preparing the ribs.

I decided that these would be my practise set of ribs which I’m cooking today.

This is a bit boring but this is my new knife I bought mainly for brisket and pork prep' but it made easy work of trimming these ribs.

After trimming all of the fat off the ribs I decided I would inject these ribs with my normal brisket injection of beef stock.

A little action shot of me injecting the ribs

I injected these with quite a lot of stock and you can see how well they've swelled up.

Finally rubbed with brisket rub and they're ready to go onto the smoker.

I needed to defrost my smoker today as I couldn't even take the lid off and I found this solid lump of lce in the bottom of the WSM.

Finally ribs are on the smoker, I just need to work out how I’m going to sauce them.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 11 Feb 2012, 15:52

Nice pics
keith157

Postby Steve » 11 Feb 2012, 16:59

Looking good. I've just given my girls their annual deep clean ready for cooking tomorrow. They're in the middle of a nice hot clean burn now :D

My marinade is made up and I'm going to trim up the ribs in a bit.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 11 Feb 2012, 17:03

Good luck to everyone taking part, I think it's an interesting concept. I wish I was more local to London as I would have fancied entering. I happen to know a BBQ restaurant in a listed building that used smoking off site and Sous Vide for Beef Ribs and they are very good.

For turn in, are you permitted to Vac pac and get the restaurant to re-heat by boil in the bag?
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 11 Feb 2012, 17:44

Excellent! Cheers ed - what temp you cooking them at and how long?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Feb 2012, 17:56

esselle wrote:what temp you cooking them at and how long?

I'm cooking these ones at around 230f, i couldn't be bothered to find any of my mavericks so i'll most likely start checking the temp' with my thermapen after about 4 - 5hrs and when they get to an internal of 180f i'll start pulling on the bones to see if they're done, if not i'll go for a bit longer.

Undecided about whether i should foil or not.

I think with these ones i'll see how they go, if i don't get the tenderness that i'm looking for i'll foil my ones for Monday.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Feb 2012, 21:12

Well let me say I'm glad I did buy a practise rack as I got distracted with watching the rugby and other thing and missed my target temp' by a long way :oops:

I've still wrapped them and put them in my cool box to see how they turn out, although on the plus side they smell awesome.

So what have I learnt doing this cook? Not to be lazy and to use one of my mavericks with the alarms set so I don't over shoot my target temp' by as much as I did.
Swindon_Ed

Postby esselle » 11 Feb 2012, 21:33

Don't you cook them the same as brisket then? What temp did they get to then?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 11 Feb 2012, 21:37

I was aiming for 180f but they were at 195f by the time I remembered to pull them off. The meat has shrunk too much at this temp', I'm going to cut them up in a minute and I'll post some pictures so you can see what I mean.
Swindon_Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events