First Competition

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: First Competition

Postby joker smoker » 14 Apr 2010, 21:57

come on Steve. Don't get all mardy . I'm sure you can create a bad ass sauce on site. After all, there's plenty of time for reduction while that briskets cooking
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 15 Apr 2010, 08:35

The problem I have is that my base is a fruit reduction. This involves cooking, blending, straining, and then reducing, a real pain on a camping stove and without a blender. I've been thinking that I've got a hand cranked thingy for making passata that I could use onsite so who knows, maybe I'll give it a pop.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 15 Apr 2010, 08:59

Sorry you lot ...another question (or 2)....
How big is the pork butt we cook? (so I can practice on a similar one).
Also if you turn in pulled pork.....do you put sauce on? or in a side dish? or no sauce? or is it a matter of choice?
Thanks again
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 15 Apr 2010, 09:33

Not sure what the competition Butts will be but the ones I get are around 4kg, I get them with the bone in.

Hope this helps

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 15 Apr 2010, 13:29

You'll probably get one around the 4KG mark at competition, maybe a little bigger. I would think it'll be bone in, I hope it will be.

for turn in, you're given a styrofoam box (think kebab box) in which you can only put your meat and a garnish of either green lettuce or parsley. I guess you could put a dollop of suace in there but you certainly couldn't put a little pot in as a side dish.

You can turn you pork in without sauce if you choose. I wouldn't recommend it though. Typically a competitor would warm some finishing sauce ready for turning in then they'd dip their pulled chunks in or brush them with the sauce. You can also serve chopped, shredded and sliced bits of pork in, or a misture of all of the above.

Remember the judges are obliged to taste each type you turn in so don't turn in anything that is not as good. You'll likely find that the muscles around the bone will be very flavoursome so you may choose to pull these and turn them in.

Everyone does things a little different though, so you'll just come up with your own style over time.

Good luck with it and keep asking the questions if you want, we're here to help.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 15 Apr 2010, 14:03

Thanks Again :D
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous