help

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

help

Postby joker smoker » 14 Apr 2010, 22:01

why does all the help and advice all dry up when competitions get close? I sure could use some help with my chicken.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: help

Postby Steve » 15 Apr 2010, 08:31

I see your game Mr. I lived in Texas for a decade - shiggin, that's what you're up to :lol:

I bet your chicken is bang on already!!!!!!

I'm open to discussing processes though, we've got chicken as refined as we're planning to get for the first competition so our process is set for now. What would you like to know?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 15 Apr 2010, 15:23

the problem I find is that Texas style BBQ doesn't score well in KCBS comps apart from maybe the brisket. I never saw a piece of chicken with Sauce/glaze in Texas....anyway I always went for the hot wings...I do still have problems with getting good crispy skin sometimes
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 16 Apr 2010, 10:32

IMHO chicken is a complete PITA.

I've often pondered the worth in doing it low and slow because the smoke flavour doesn't really develop until it goes cold anyway. I love doing a while chicken then cooling it for sandwich meat but I don't find it to be much better than well roasted chicken when it's freshly cooked.

Anyway, I've had a few tips for crispy skin, one is to rub the skin with mayo. I've had success with this but not consistent enough. Another is to do an accelerated crispy duck method by using cake-makers food grade alcohol on the skin in several applications to dry it out, not tried this yet.

The only way I truly know of getting bite-through skin is scraping the fat off. Crappy job but it works.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 16 Apr 2010, 12:07

hi Steve, I have tried a "crispy duck" method, first bathing the bird in scalding water, then in abath of boiling white wine vinegar and maltose. I then stuff the cavity with garlic, lemon and springonion and seal up with a bamboo skewer. Then hang for24 hours and blow dry skin with a hairdryer . Empty cavity and cook beer. An style. Don't think this method works for competition though.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 16 Apr 2010, 17:08

The technique I've heard is to paint the skin with the alcohol then leave for 10 mins, then repeat several times. Doable at competition if it works, a complete PITA but that's chicken for you :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 20 Apr 2010, 17:05

I just heard an amusing description of KCBS chicken from an old Texan friend as all hair and makeup..(that is parsley and BBQ sauce). I think I'll have to practise my beautician skills this year.. As Toby well knows from last year
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events