Judging Criteria .... what I ask the Judges to look for!

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Judging Criteria .... what I ask the Judges to look for!

Postby MadCow » 22 Jun 2010, 09:00

As requested, here is what I ask the judges to look for when judging ....

Each entry judged on 3 criteria ... Appearance, Taste, Texture

Appearance

The box should be clean on the outside ... mucky fingerprints or sauce splashes on the box ... inside or outside are marked down. Bits of garnish or meat sticking out of the side of the box are marked down. The meat displayed ... should look appetising, a coating of sauce is fine, big puddles are a no-no ... there should be enough for the judges to have a good selection ... remember less content means that the judge might pick up piece that isn't so good ... also the contents get cold much faster if there isn't much of them. Box your meat up at the last minute, close the lid and wrap it in a warm towel or blanket ... some boxes turned in last time were stone cold ... we can tell the difference between something that was boxed hot and has cooled down to something that was luke warm or cold when boxed. Finally, please use the box the right way up ... in the USA if you use the box upside down then it will be turned over so that the box is correct even if the contents are not. The Base of the box is the larger side with the slot ... the lid sits over it and the lid tucks into the slot.

Taste

Each judge has their own opinion on taste / flavour .... this is just mine, fellow judges please feel free to add your own ... just one tip ... don't try and please every judge for 2 reasons, firstly their taste maybe different to everyone elses and secondly your box might end up on another table anyway!! :)

Personally, I don't like an oversmoked flavour, it's bitter and nasty ...

Chicken ... please make sure it's cooked properly, we won't taste undercooked chicken as we don't want to spend the evening on the loo. Try not to get soggy skin ... there are ways ... other than that just try to get as much flavour into it as possible.

Ribs ... please make sure the membrane is removed (I walked round to every team last time and mentioned this and yet some people still turned in ribs with the membrane on) ... the ribs need a good depth of flavour ... I personally like a sticky sauce finish (ie., brush with sauce and put back into cooker to set it). Display nicely in your box .. TIP: the more air between the ribs the quicker they get cold and dry out.

Pork ... should be pulled into reasonable size chunks and tossed gently in sauce so that it is lightly coated (it dries out really fast if you don't do this and I haven't yet met a judge who likes the pork without sauce). If you are going to slice some of your pork then make sure you just slice a single muscle ... cutting it up like a Sunday roast just doesn't work. TIP: USE SAUCE !!!!!

Brisket ... there is a lot of skill (and luck) involved with getting your brisket right ... but when putting it into your box don't slice to thick or too thin and just try and make it taste good!! (ok I know you're all trying) :D

Texture

Tough, chewy or rubbery meat is not nice and loses points ... make it tender, but not too sloppy ... work out a method where you know how the meat needs to feel and look when it's ready and go with it. Gentle saucing prevents meats drying out ... if you want to use sauce on the brisket use it on the back of the slice so that the unsauced side is facing up. If you get your chicken skin nice and crisp then think hard before covering it in sauce ... it makes it go soggy. Temperature of the meat has a lot to do with texture ... if it's cold will have dried out more.

Finally, taste everything yourself and ask yourself honestly, is it really good and could I sit here and eat a whole plate of it ... if you're not sure about it, do you think we're going to love it?

I've said enough for now, but hopefully this info will get you thinking a bit ... feel free to comment or argue if you wish :twisted: all judging is done blindly so I won't be able to down mark you for commenting even if I wanted to !!! :D

Thanks all and remember I'm only saying all of this to try and help you all ... (ok and to make tasting more pleasant :lol: )
MadCow

Re: Judging Criteria .... what I ask the Judges to look for!

Postby esselle » 22 Jun 2010, 21:48

Thanks for that. That is all very helpful. One question on chicken. In your opinion if you hadto choose one which is better crispy skin and no sauce ( in case it goes soggy) or sauced but not crispy skin? My skin crisping has been hit and miss so far.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 23 Jun 2010, 09:28

Personally, I might try trimming the skin so that there is only a covering of it on top and getting it nice and crisp, but saucing the meat at the bottom, so that when a judge bites into it the sauce will hit their tongue but the crisp skin with hit their teeth! It might work, but then again it might not ... :)
MadCow

Postby Smokey Toad » 05 Aug 2010, 07:00

Its been a while since I logged on.

Thanks for that. Hopefully all will find it useful.

Tom
Smokey Toad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 17 Aug 2010, 09:14

If anyone wants to go through any more info before the next competition, please let me know (preferably viat this forum) and I will be happy to help.
MadCow

Postby esselle » 20 Aug 2010, 18:15

Hi Jackie,
You did say something when judging the last competition about brisket. Something along the lines of all teams need to work on it. Would you say in any particular area or in general?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 20 Aug 2010, 18:47

Hi Scott

Brisket, in general, was turned in either overcooked or undercooked ... some of it was sliced a bit too thick and nearly all of it was dry.

So I sould suggest injecing and rubbing the meat as soon after meat inspection as possible to get flavour into it and leave it to marinade a bit ... make sure the first part of the cook is at a low temperature ... increase the temp a bit later if you like, and make sure you wrap in foil around 6 hours into the cook to hold the juices (use the juices in the mop before presenting too)

Again, just my tips and ideas ..,., play around with them at will :D

J
MadCow

Postby stickthekettleon » 20 Aug 2010, 19:11

Still think there should be a beef jerky category...just in case :lol:
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 21 Aug 2010, 16:11

lately I've been getting nice slices out of the point. What would a judge think to receiving sliced point rather than flat in the turn in box?
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 21 Aug 2010, 22:54

You can turn in whatever you think is good as long as it comes off the brisket and some of it is sliced ... if the point slices nicely then I can see no reason for not turning it in ... just remember turn in whatever you think is good and that the judges will like ... just make sure the appearance is as good as the flavour :D
MadCow

Next

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events