Evil Genius

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Evil Genius

Postby gazz_46 » 28 May 2014, 23:09

Thanks Stu

Hopefully when I get up to speed I can get some much needed sleep over a comp weekend be less prone to emotions and enjoy it more... There's more than 1 grumpy man on the team :lol:
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby RobinC » 29 May 2014, 20:52

Great write up gaz
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 29 May 2014, 21:34

Thanks Robin

Trying to figure how to make them shorter, being that long can put people off reading but still want to give a full insight :roll:
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby derekmiller » 30 May 2014, 08:14

Dont make them shorter Gary, you would have to leave stuff out. They are fine as they are. Makes a great read.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gazz_46 » 02 Jul 2014, 10:00

Grillstock Manchester......

Words cannot describe it, simply freakin awesome came away with a lifetime of happy memories and new friends. Yes happy memories, emotions were well in check for this this one, started off a little daunted by it all but then with the shear buzz around the place from the teams, organisers, the absolutely monumental crowd and some family and friends arriving / helping out managed to settle in and enjoy it!

Seriously if you have never been to one you really need to add it to your bucket list, Music meat and mayhem doesn't do it justice but as I said words cannot describe it... stick with me tho there's some major news to come!!!

We had a great time and the cook went well, we had all 3 smokers and a spanking new 67cm one touch going throughout the weekend for this one, sadly still suffering with the guru throwing a hissy fit part way thru on Bert but resolved more quickly this time, the Thuros or "filing cabinet" as it has been affectionately nicknamed by my competitors and grumpy mans wsm held true without issue.

We cooked huge amounts of food alongside our usual meats and the extra competition categories, as part of the deal with the organisers we were asked to cook and serve additional smoked goodies to the public, these meats were supplied by Grillstock foc and only too happy to oblige as they had organised the turn in times to get these done without affecting the comp.

The crowd were awesome and really made it for us, showing an interest, asking questions and graciously waiting in line to sample our wares. We took over 200 paper bowls to hand out samples and these went in the 1st few hours of Saturday we weren't stingy with the portions either..... Resorted to just handing tasty morsels out on napkins in the end lol, lost count after serving 300 people, across the two days it could easily have been double....wot a rush.

The hungry punters were really positive even when we ran out of specific items but letting them know wot was due to be ready next and when had them coming back time and again, feedback was incredibly positive and the smiles on their faces a heart warming experience.

So to the comp itself, again the cook went well or rather without issues this time some of the turn ins were a little under par but as a whole really happy.

For cooks choice I chose confit duck legs that we smoked then finished on the grill, turned out great but bombed finishing a lowly 12th.

Next up were ribs which were well below par before cookin due to a mix up at the butchers that tho is another story, making the best of a bad job we finished 8th

Chicken turn in was next and a little experimental, changed the whole prep and rub process and glad to see an improvement finishing a credible 6th

Pork but was a an easy cook but left the presentation a little too late and had to rush to get it in on time, think I may have over sauced aswell doh! Resulting in a 9th place

Hot buffalo wings were an extra category and a welcome change, we had only tried these once before and were really pleased with the result.... Unfortunately we were judged shortly after someone else's interpretation of thermonuclear sauce and I don't think the flavour of ours came thru as the judges looked hot and bothered. Exceptionally happy with the 4th place we achieved tho.

Brisket was awesome the crowds went mental for it and managed to pick up 7th place

Next came an additional round of best burger..... What can I say, this was grumpy mans baby and he absolutely rocked it not only did we take 1st position with our butter burger we absolutely smashed the competition by 60 points!!!!

It was a nerve racking cook for me as an assistant but grumpy held his nerve, the judging was done in front of the public with Dr.Sweetsmoke giving a running commentary via microphone....we hung around out of sight for the judges tastin and knew we had done well when one of the judges hailed our entry as "f...ing outrageous" we couldn't believe our ears and neither could the Doc so he asked him to repeat on the mic, again came the response to all and sundry across the p.a system but a little louder and with feeling "F...ING OUTRAGEOUS, NOW THAT'S HOW YOU MAKE A BURGER!" nuff said

Overall we took 8th place, in this competition with the teams we were up against was a truly awesome result in our 1st year and only our 3rd comp....... But wait there's more!

Our win in the burger round qualified us for a place at "The World Food Championships" in Las Vegas in November. Wot? Can someone repeat that please.... Lol it's true, we didn't find out until the next day but we are headed to Vegas baby to represent the UK and BBBQS

Wibble....... The logistics of this are mind boggling and we have no idea how we are going to do it let alone pay for it but wild rabid horse burgers with meal worms, scorpions, insects topped with lambs testes could not keep us away (sorry Steve)

I love my team...
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby derekmiller » 02 Jul 2014, 11:26

Well done Gary, to you and your team. Another good write up.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chokethechicken » 02 Jul 2014, 12:57

Great write up, G. Reflects the whole experience really well.

I only ran a practice run on the burgers a week before and didn't expect such an amazing result for the team. Being able to watch the judging was a really useful experience and seeing Dr Sweetsmoke again was a pleasure.

Great to meet the other teams too - I must try harder to get out of my shell next time and chat more. Perhaps a few extra shots of Friday night bourbon is the answer?!

Since the event, the outspoken judge even claimed that the burgers made him produce sex sounds. So naturally, I'm going to force feed my wife with 20 of them tonight.

Team love right back at ya!

(@GrumpymanUK)
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 02 Jul 2014, 15:23

Lol, ur a legend mate can't thank you and the team enough :D
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Artust » 02 Jul 2014, 19:05

[quote=" So naturally, I'm going to force feed my wife with 20 of them tonight.

Team love right back at ya!

(@GrumpymanUK)[/quote]

Brilliant. Do you do delivery? Top floor at my house about 9.30pm. She is the blonde one.

Of the burgers only I mean. Just to clear that up. Ha,ha. ;)
Artust
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby some bloke » 04 Jul 2014, 09:55

Good write up Gazz, I was there as a spectator and enjoyed talking to the cooks and sampling the goods.
some bloke
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events