New Competitors Q&A

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

New Competitors Q&A

Postby Steve » 01 Mar 2011, 10:21

When you enter your first comp you tend to have a lot of questions so we've created this thread as a place to field those questions and get responses from the experienced teams.

This thread is sticky so it will stay at the top of the forum and be clear for everyone to see. It also needs to be kept tidy and clear for people to use as areference. Because of this we're going to have a few extra rules on posts, just to keep the thread tidy and useful.

1. Competition questions only please
2. Please read through the thread before asking a new question to see if your question has already been answered.
3. No question is going to be considered stupid, if you don't know something ask away.
4. Please stay on topic and keep answers simple and to the point.
5. Advice and information will be relevant to British BBQ Society events, other events may vary.
6. This is not the place to blow smoke out of your own a55 or start writing meandering essays about ethics, love of bbq etc etc. It's a place where new competitors can find a reference of straightforward answers or post a new question if they need to.

Any questions?...
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Competitors Q&A- Question

Postby British BBQ Society » 08 Mar 2011, 14:12

Thought it was best to re-organise this thread starting with the full British BBQ Society Pit Masters rules which you will find here http://pitmasters.co.uk/pit-masters-rules-regulations/ they are pretty comprehensive and will answer most of the outline questions. For full comp info visit the official pitmasters web site http://www.PitMasters.co.uk to previous competitors please note the change in hand in times, the 4 main categories remain the same and BBQ sauce hand in will take place prior to dessert, this allows the judges a cleaner palate for the main categories.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Competitors Q&A

Postby British BBQ Society » 09 Mar 2011, 13:29

To keep everything nice and clean this post will be updated with any questions asked so that people do not need to trawl through the entire topic. Each time a question is asked it will be copied to this post and the original post deleted.

Dr Sweetsmoke asked:-
Are comment cards provided by the Judges after each event?
Yes, they are sent out a few days after the competition, it is important for the British BBQ Society to provide each team with as much feedback as possible.
How long can you hold your meat for after cooking?
Please refere to the rules set out above:- After cooking, all meat: 1. Must be held at 140 degrees or above or 2.Cooked food shall be cooled within 2 hours from 140 degrees F to 70 Degrees F and within 4 hours must be cooled to 41 degrees F or less.
What is the ideal hold time for comp meats prior to turn in?
For the larger cuts of meat the longer the better, based on temp guidelines you want to rest the pork and brisket for the full 2 hours. Ribs are generally held for about an hour before returning to the smoker for glazing, although there are numerous techniques and chicken you want to cook, sauce and hand in with minimal delay to avoid skin softening.
What about gas stoves, can one be used in the preparation of sauces- ala KCBS?
Gas stoves can be used for sauce, but at no time must meat come into contact with it, ie dipping while still on the burner.
So is each individual judge required to taste both the money muscle and the pulled pork in a single box?
Sorry I'm not trying to be thick here just looking for clarity on my part.

The British BBQ Society judges will taste every item in the judgng box, if you are happy to submit it, the judges will score it

Clairbare asked
Can you get 1 whole chicken and 5 thighs or does it have to be either/or?
You can get a combination, please specify with your comp application.
Can each team submitt more than one BBQ sauce? Does the sauce have to be prepared onsite or can it be prepared before the competition?
Only 1 BBQ sauce per team can be submited which must be prepared onsite.

Joker Smoker asked
I have read that in some KCBS competitions in USA, iceberg lettuce is not permitted for use as a garnish.. Could you clarify this for me please.
This is permitted within the British BBQ Society, you will have to contact the relevant US competitions directly.
If somebody cooks 2 pork butts or 2 racks of ribs must they choose 1 from which to use for turn in or can one use 3 ribs from each rack and for example the money muscle from both pork butts?
You can use whatever cuts, slices etc from both items

Eddie Asked
If I was to compete in pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, beans and dessert, would I need three pro q's ? To make sure I get all the timeing right ?
How many smokers do other poeple take to events ? and do you sick to one brand ?

It is best to have two cookers (pro q or weber for example) to spread the load, you will see bigger cookers that can handle everything of all different shapes and sizes.

BBQ Fanatic Asked
Have the hand in times changed at all
Yes, due to the nature of some sauces (hot) we decided to score sauce after the 4 main categories, updated rules can be found here http://pitmasters.co.uk/pit-masters-rules-regulations/
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 26 Mar 2011, 10:11

Can each team submitt more than one BBQ sauce? Does the sauce have to be prepared onsite or can it be prepared before the competition?
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Eddie » 01 Apr 2011, 18:06

If I was to compete in pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, beans and dessert, would I need three pro q's ? To make sure I get all the timeing right ?

How many smokers do other poeple take to events ? and do you sick to one brand ?

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQFanatic » 15 May 2011, 22:31

Toby,

Have the timings changed or are my notes wrong - From last years comps I had:

11:30 BBQ Sauce
12:00 Chicken
12:30 Pork Ribs
13:00 Pork
13:30 Brisket
14:00 Dessert

Just wanted to confirm. Cheers

Q
BBQFanatic

Postby Steve » 15 May 2011, 22:34

I'm pretty sure sauce has been moved to the end and everything else bumped forwards but I'll let toby confirm.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 15 May 2011, 22:48

If somebody cooks 2 pork butts or 2 racks of ribs must they choose 1 from which to use for turn in or can one use 3 ribs from each rack and for example the money muscle from both pork butts?
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 16 May 2011, 05:42

BBQFanatic wrote:Toby,

Have the timings changed or are my notes wrong - From last years comps I had:

11:30 BBQ Sauce
12:00 Chicken
12:30 Pork Ribs
13:00 Pork
13:30 Brisket
14:00 Dessert

Just wanted to confirm. Cheers

Q

Will add this to the Q & A 3rd post but its important so will add the reply. the timings have changed, but only so far as BBQ sauce will now be judged after the main categories and before the dessert you can see the new times here http://pitmasters.co.uk/pit-masters-rules-regulations/ The bigest problem for the judges previously was having their taste buds destroyed by some fairly spicy sauces, this issue has now been addressed
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BBQFanatic » 16 May 2011, 16:20

Cheers Toby. Don't want to replicate AR mistake :D
BBQFanatic

Next

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events