Proq maverick deluxe

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Proq maverick deluxe

Postby bencops » 26 Sep 2011, 19:23

Just seen this, anyone got or tried one?

http://www.forfoodsmokers.co.uk/acatalo ... html#a1068
bencops

Re: Proq maverick deluxe

Postby esselle » 26 Sep 2011, 20:08

Looks good.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby wade » 27 Sep 2011, 06:25

It looks good for the price. I would like to have seen a larger (longer) cooking area though as there is likely to be a substantial heat gradient along the cooking chamber over such a short distance. You may not be able to get the meat far enough away from the direct radient heat of the fire box which could make the even cooking of large joints a little tricky without constant turning. It is also difficult to see the build quality of the unit from the pictures. I would need to see one up close before I considered buying.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 27 Sep 2011, 08:35

Havent had my hands on one yet, just hope they have learnt their mistakes from their earlier version which leaked smoke badly. Decent seals would have made the difference.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 27 Sep 2011, 08:41

I had a look at one at Grillstock, it's ok but wasn't any better in quality compared to the grill pro version which from memory is both larger and cheaper. Now this is just my opinion so I would really recommend you see one before you buy it, in my experience you cannot buy a cheap (yes £300 in offset smoker terms is cheap) that is close to the quality or efficiency of the bullet type smokers, I haven't seen anything less than £1000 that wouldn't require some modifications to make it reliable, but hey that's just my opinion
JEC

Postby JEC » 28 Sep 2011, 19:10

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Cooked on em several times with great success in fact we bake deserts on em without any issues too.

Well there's an endorsement, if it's good enough for our resident celebrity chef it will be good enough for the rest of us!
JEC

Return to Barbecue Reviews