Salmon

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

Re: Salmon

Postby JEC » 11 Sep 2011, 13:47

I like to grill salmon on cedar planks after marinading in a Thai inspired marinade, I'm not at home so can't quote all of the ingredients but from memory it's based around a green thai curry paste, homemade, only needs an hour or so to marinate and gives a nice fresh lime and ginger taste with as much heat as you want (dare).
JEC

Postby wade » 11 Sep 2011, 15:28

I just love the flavour of the salmon itself - maybe lightly smoked first. I like to cut my salmon side into portion size steaks and then cold smoke them for about 6 hours - This is a light smoke no need to brine or salt them first. They freeze well like this and can be thawed out later as required. To cook them I get the BBQ up to 180C (350F) place them on a baking tray (with a little olive oil to stop them sticking and a little salt and pepper) and hot smoke them for 12 minutes - any longer and they are overdone.

Salmon is such a lovely flavour fish that I personally prefer it without any marinate however I do sometimes marinade it in fresh lemon, ginger and chili or a good Thai paste if I am looking for a little varity.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 11 Sep 2011, 18:07

Would you believe Waitrose ... or even Tescos (other supermarket brands are available - LOL). Most supermarket brands are quite good these days but it can be worthwhile to add a little extra chilli, chopped lemon grass, coriander or ginger if you like a more pronounced flavour.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 11 Sep 2011, 18:52

As Wade said you can buy pastes from any good supermarket but I prefer to make my own, I use a modified Jamie Oliver recipe, put it all in the blender and store in a jar until ready to use, I've put my changes in bold

Green Curry Paste:
6 spring onions, washed and trimmed
4 to 6 medium green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
2 4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped grated thumb sized piece
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, pounded and crushed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 handful lime leaves, torn
2 1 lemon grass stalks, trimmed back and finely chopped
2 good handfuls fresh basil on the stalk I leave this out
3 good handfuls fresh coriander on the stalk
3 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 limes, zested and juiced or one lime and Tesco Wholefood lime juice in a bottle 3tbs
1 to 2 tbs Fish Sauce
2 tbs of tinned coconut milk if using as marinde

This makes 1 curry or enough marinade for 6 to 8 salmon fillets
JEC

Postby wade » 11 Sep 2011, 20:16

Jamie - my hero :oops: He may have gone off in some strange directions recently but his methods of adaptive cooking have been a great inspiration to me over the years. I have based a lot of my day-to-day cooking on his recipes and methods. Unfortunately he has not had much to say about slow cook BBQ - though he appears to be coming round a little.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 12 Sep 2011, 05:05

This is as old school Jamie as you can get, an original recipe from the Naked Chef.
JEC

Return to Fish