Whole sea bass cooked indirectly on the Kamado Joe

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

Whole sea bass cooked indirectly on the Kamado Joe

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Apr 2012, 07:55

So after eating my weight in pork on Saturday, I decided that I couldn't face more meat on the Sunday.

Happened to be passing CostCo & popped in to try & get some more lump (no luck unfortunately) as well as some fish. (and some Sam Adams....!). But I did get a four pack of fresh whole Sea Bass for £9.50!!! Given that we had bought two sea bass fillets for £5 at a supermarket, this was a bargain.

Decided to try cooking them the heat deflector in temperature was around 450F.

Will definitely be doing it like this again - cooked in about the same time as I would have expected despite it being a bt hotter than I would have had an oven (15 minutes - flipped in the middle of the cook), but the fish had that lovely BBQ flavour & was still really moist still.

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Whole sea bass cooked indirectly on the Kamado Joe

Postby JEC » 16 Apr 2012, 09:47

Sounds and looks tasty, I think nearly all of us are guilty of forgetting BBQ isn't just about meat.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 16 Apr 2012, 10:28

JEC wrote:Sounds and looks tasty, I think nearly all of us are guilty of forgetting BBQ isn't just about meat.

:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :?
keith157

Postby BigM » 16 Apr 2012, 12:37

Looks nice simon Costco aint too bad on fish and there king Prawns are Sweet .. :)
did ya kamado stink of fish after ?
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Apr 2012, 13:41

BigM wrote:Looks nice simon Costco aint too bad on fish and there king Prawns are Sweet .. :)
did ya kamado stink of fish after ?

Being out in the sticks, I don't tend to get a chance to pop in that often, but their meat section is always pretty good. I was going to try & get some salmon for both hot & cold smoking - but these were the only uncooked fish they had. Will be making the effort to visit again.

Didn't seem to smell at all - I did brush some oil on the grate before putting the fish on - so no bits stuck to the grate. But I think a quick blast at a high temperature would get rid of any nasty smells anyway.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQFanatic » 16 Apr 2012, 14:48

Having grown up with a father that was a mad fisherman, some tips from the trenches when smoking fish are (assuming, this is a whole fish, gutted and de-scaled) - Works well on both salmon and white meat fish, like Pollock, Cod, Kingfish, Dorada, Cuta, Kingclip etc

1.) Score the fish on both sides, and cover liberally in non iodised salt. Leave in the fringe covered for about an hour
2.) Rinse off the salt with water and cover liberally with white sugar. Leave in the fringe, covered for about an hour
3.) Rinse off the salt with water and pat dry.
4.) Hot Smoke - Normally 20mins - 60 mins (dependant on the heat and the thickness of the fish)

Some alternatives that my family enjoys -
- Rinse off the sugar with cheap rum (in step 3), but do not dry the fish, then smoke, this gives a great flavour to the fish
- Add 3x teabags of tea leaves to the smoke chips to give the fish a mild tea taste... Its better than it sounds!
BBQFanatic

Return to Fish