Smoked Salmon (lox)

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

Smoked Salmon (lox)

Postby crsmoke070 » 19 Nov 2010, 15:04

This is a smoked salmon that is a lox flavor but not cold smoked to be sliced like lox. My wife loves it with cream cheese on a bagel.

Smoked Salmon (lox) Recipe

Dry Brine Ingredients: - You might need to make more of this brine depending on the size of fish.
•¼ cup Salt
•¾ cup Brown Sugar

Brining Process:
•Mix brine ingredient together and layout a sheet of plastic wrap big enough to wrap salmon in.
•Coat salmon in a thick layer of dry brine and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then wrap in plastic wrap two more times.
•Place wrapped salmon in a pan or container for 12 hours in the refrigerator. After 12 hours, flip salmon and add weight on top for another 12 hours. This is to make the fish more dense. You can use bricks cleaned and wrapped in foil/plastic wrap.

Smoking Process:
•Remove salmon from refrigerator, unwrap & rinse off the dry brine with water. Pat dry salmon with a paper towel and allow to sit out for 3 to 4 hours prior to smoking. This will form a pellicle which is needed to accept smoke.
•Set smoker to smoke setting with door propped open slightly (about 1/2 inch or 12cm) to keep temps lower. Once smoker is up to temperature, place salmon in with meat thermometer in the thickest part of meat. Smoke with door propped open for about 2 hour.
•After 2 hours of smoke then allow door to close normally. Turn smoker temp to 180°F (or medium) and keep smoking until internal temp is 150°F.
•Remove salmon from smoker and place in a container or cover with foil and put directly into refrigerator to cool.
•Once cooled, it is ready to enjoy.

I hope you all enjoy.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoked Salmon (lox)

Postby jacklance » 31 Jul 2012, 06:09

Nice, i always worried about preserving in refrigerator, normally i served in for 5 hours and it messed up all recipe :( now mystery has been resolved.
jacklance
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 07 Aug 2012, 17:25

Hi recipe sounds dead easy and tasty, but I have to counsel against putting straight in the fridge, at those temps there will be a "hot zone" around the fish while it cools and you have a fair chance of giving yourself food poisoning. Would let cool to room temp and then fridge........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 08 Aug 2012, 01:11

Tiny wrote:Hi recipe sounds dead easy and tasty, but I have to counsel against putting straight in the fridge, at those temps there will be a "hot zone" around the fish while it cools and you have a fair chance of giving yourself food poisoning. Would let cool to room temp and then fridge........

Cheers
Tiny

If you have a cool bag/box use that to bring temp down before putting in fridge.... Cooling to room temp is risky.
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby johnfred01 » 14 Aug 2012, 07:16

Hi meat smoking product is very good we can smoked food quickly
johnfred01
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Jonty » 29 Aug 2012, 19:19

I've just put a couple of small sides of salmon into my cold smoker for the night. I use 50/50 salt and sugar, give a liberal coating to the flesh side and put in the fridge for 18-24 hours, rinse off then leave in the fridge overnight for the pellicle to form. Then they get about 18 hours of cold smoke in an oil drum with a pro q CSG. Vac pack for a day or two before eating and it's great.

Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Fish