Butternut Squash with Feta, Baby Spinach & Pine Nuts

Bad Hunter? Post your recipe here.

Butternut Squash with Feta, Baby Spinach & Pine Nuts

Postby BBQFanatic » 08 May 2012, 11:47

Over the weekend, Ben and I happened to discuss vegatarian recipes (it was a very short conversation!). A recipe that we do in our family on occasion is a great addition to the arsenal and if you do have vege's over a great main course. I dont have any pictures (but I have taken the liberty of linking to Cooksister, a South African food blogger, based in the UK) as her picture is as close to what we produce.

The recipe is dead easy

- 1x Butternut Squash, cut lengthways and de-seeded, score the flesh in a criss/cross fashion
- Dust the butternut with a little cinammon and brown sugar to bring out the flavours of the butternut
- Fry onions, garlic and mushrooms with a touch of olive oil & butter (and chilli's if your audience can take it)
- Stuff the cavity with the fried mix above as well as baby spinach, feta & pine nuts. (Sometimes I add mozzarella and cheddar ie 3 cheeses to get the salt from the feta, the pull affect from the mozzarella and the flavour from the cheddar)
- Add some feta to the scored area, drizzle everything with olive oil
- Add S&P to taste.

Wrap each half in tinfoil and lay it upright on the coals OR put on the kettle, indirect heat for about 30-40mins. Test by poking the butternut, it should be butter soft! This is what the end result looks like -

Cooksisters article is here, a similar, albeit it slightly simpler recipe, but I think they are both ACE!

http://www.cooksister.com/2007/08/roasted-buttern.html
BBQFanatic

Re: Butternut Squash with Feta, Baby Spinach & Pine Nuts

Postby Steve » 08 May 2012, 11:54

Right where's the banning button :lol:

No, jokes aside, that looks good for if you have one of this shifty vegetarians sneak into your gathering.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KamadoSimon » 08 May 2012, 11:56

Without the cheese, I'd eat that ;-) Looks really good.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BBQFanatic » 08 May 2012, 12:34

KamadoSimon wrote:Without the cheese, I'd eat that ;-) Looks really good.

If you are not a cheese fan, then the dish needs something with some saltiness as it balances the sweetness of butternut. What works well as a replacement is a salsa verde drizzle over the spinach (Blend a few anchovies with rocket, garlic, olive oil and a splash of vinegar)

Ace!
BBQFanatic

Return to Vegetarian