Cold Smoked Garlic

Bad Hunter? Post your recipe here.

Re: Cold Smoked Garlic

Postby CyderPig » 19 Dec 2012, 12:23

Hi All
The trick with smoking garlic IMHO is to take a few layers of the outer papery covering off, and run a thumbnail lightly down the gaps between the clves to split the skin, this lets more of the smoke into the bulb.
Cold smoked 12 bulbs last week for 8 hours using oak and hawthorn, and they turned out great.

Cheers
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 19 Dec 2012, 15:00

It's a long walk down to the cold smoker in this weather unless you brought it up to BBQ Central :lol:
keith157

Postby CyderPig » 19 Dec 2012, 20:55

Don't even talk about that, tried to smoke some cheese today, rain like you expect during a biblical flood, low atmospheric pressure changed all the rules on smoking.
Normally smoke cheese from 1- 3 hours depending on wood type and how I want it to be smoked ie light or heavy.
This time no chance but HEAVY 1.5 hours and it was SMOKED!!!!!!
Have wrapped them in clingfilm and put in fridge, hopefully they will mellow, that is what the cheese smoking sites say to do.
Garlic came out fine?

Cheers
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CyderPig » 24 Feb 2013, 09:41

12 hours into my new batch of cold smoked garlic, I have changed my cold smoking set up a bit, pics on my facebook page.
It has just started to try and snow here so I guess they will be truly Cold smoked.
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Vegetarian