Pickles

Got a recipe for a killer 'Slaw or some hearty BBQ beans? Maybe you make some killer ABT's or something more inventive. This is the place to post your recipes.

Pickles

Postby poiuuiop » 08 Aug 2012, 12:53

I've started experimenting with my own pickles. I was lucky enough to be in New York during a pickle festival and would love to recreate what I had there. Very crunchy and fresh tasting compared to the flacid offerings over here!

I've started with other veg than cucumbers because I can't find anywhere to buy pickling cucumbers, not that I've looked very hard so far. Anyone know anywhere in London I might find small cucumbers for pickling?

And for anyone else interested in making their own, I've found these blogs to be valuable resources:

http://foodinjars.com/

http://picklefreak.com/

The Pickle Freak is somewhat of a missionary, hoping to spread the good word in the UK. She directed me to a great book called The Joy Of Pickling. It has loads of recipes and a great section on general techniques.
poiuuiop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pickles

Postby keith157 » 08 Aug 2012, 13:37

What you are after is the good old Wally or Gherkin, had a quick browse can't find anything but seeds old bean maybe the odd garden centre or Farmers Market might have something. I've no idea of the growing season, but see if you have a pick your own near you and have a word with the owner so you can pick some early.

Other than that you are in a bit of a pickle. Sorry I should have resisted but I aintent purrfick :oops: ;)
keith157

Postby derekmiller » 08 Aug 2012, 14:01

The growing season is the same as Cucumbers, Tomatoes etc. Need to keep them in a greenhouse.
I grow and pickle my own.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetabl ... brid/377TM
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby poiuuiop » 08 Aug 2012, 14:56

Unfortunately I don't have the room to grow them and I can't seem to find them for sale fresh anywhere :(
poiuuiop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 08 Aug 2012, 19:36

That was the point I was trying to make, grow your own or as an alternative see if there is an allotment association near you and have a word with the members, maybe swop your BBQ or end result pickles for their wallys
keith157

Postby poiuuiop » 08 Aug 2012, 21:37

Good idea Keith! I can't grow my own but I like the idea of a pork and pickle bartering arrangement with a local allotment. I've tried to sign up with one but the waiting lists are insane so maybe this is the next best thing...
poiuuiop
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadBeef » 10 Jun 2014, 15:38

I love to pickle yellow peppers. Fantastic to chuck in a salad for some tang and sweetness instead of a dressing.
MadBeef
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PDC7 » 14 Jun 2014, 22:02

I've been growing my own cucumbers, it's is very easy. I grow mine in a square pot about 6 inch accross on a sunny window ledge in a warm room and its a piece of cake, I have not grown in winter but given the right internal conditions there is no reason why not? Just get a female plant and until you get the start of a fruit only give it A tablespoon of water a day
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 12 Mar 2016, 15:42

poiuuiop wrote:Unfortunately I don't have the room to grow them and I can't seem to find them for sale fresh anywhere :(

You might want to try Asda for their miniature cucumbers and sometimes Lidl sells them. They come in a little plastic container and you usually get around 8 or 9. They're just juvenile cucumbers really but are the right size for pickles.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 13 Mar 2016, 09:37

And then, of course, there are always Koolickles...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... d-Pickles/
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Sides