An old one ...Bananas on BBQ

For those of you with a sweet tooth. If you're new to the idea of BBQ deserts then you've been missing a treat

Re: An old one ...Bananas on BBQ

Postby Pecker » 14 Sep 2012, 08:31

aris wrote:Do you cook it in the peel?

No, I cut the very ends off, then cut them in half, then peel them. The remaining halves I cut down the centre to make a 'D' shape. Cut the sweet potatoes into similar sized 'chips'. Then cook them on a griddle pan, or in a vegetable basket.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 23 Sep 2012, 12:35

I made this today. Not on the BBQ but in the oven, and not savoury but sweet.

I took 3 ripe plantains cut the ends off, made a cut lengthways and gently peeled back the peel. I sliced the plantain at half inch intervals. I then made three different variations. All had butter added. One had cinnamon and brown sugar, the next had cinnamon, sugar, and raisins, and the last had rum and raisins.

Hey were wrapped in foil in the peel and cooked for about 45 mins in the oven.

The consensus was that the best one was Cinnamon, sugar and raisins. But I can think of many variations to still try. It is quite rich. About 3 or 4 slices was enough. A couple of sluces with a bit of cream or vanilla ice cream would have been divine.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby SmokeyBBQYum » 18 Oct 2012, 11:35

aris wrote:I made this today. Not on the BBQ but in the oven, and not savoury but sweet.

I took 3 ripe plantains cut the ends off, made a cut lengthways and gently peeled back the peel. I sliced the plantain at half inch intervals. I then made three different variations. All had butter added. One had cinnamon and brown sugar, the next had cinnamon, sugar, and raisins, and the last had rum and raisins.

Hey were wrapped in foil in the peel and cooked for about 45 mins in the oven.

The consensus was that the best one was Cinnamon, sugar and raisins. But I can think of many variations to still try. It is quite rich. About 3 or 4 slices was enough. A couple of sluces with a bit of cream or vanilla ice cream would have been divine.

I'm going to have to try that, sounds delicious.
SmokeyBBQYum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 18 Oct 2012, 12:48

If you make them sweet, be sure to get very ripe plantains. Ripe ones are basically almost all black. Don't be afraid - in a banana that would be for the bin - but in a plantain it's just another stage of ripeness :-)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Desserts