Pecan Pie

For those of you with a sweet tooth. If you're new to the idea of BBQ deserts then you've been missing a treat

Pecan Pie

Postby lakemirror » 04 Sep 2010, 04:51

One of my favorites. Is pecan pie known in the UK? It's a staple in the southern US.

This one is made without corn syrup, which is unusual. That stuff is just too sweet and takes away from the flavor the the pecans, imo.

Anyway, here it is:

1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
3 handfuls of shelled pecans
pie crust, open top either pre-made or otherwise

Oven to 350f, so what's that, 176 and 2/3 c? If you can calibrate your oven to thirds of a degree c, my hat's off.

Put the sugar and egg yolks in a mixer, beat until smooth and uniformly yellow. Add the sour cream, flour, vanilla extract and salt, then mix until blended.

Place the pecan meat in the pie shell and then pour the mixture on top.

Pop the whole kit into the oven. Could be done in as little as 40 minutes or up to 55...check the center to make sure it is set but not overdone. This is your personal responsibility, I assume no liability.

This is not pretty pie. It's just delicious. A little ground cinnamon or nutmeg on top can dress it up. The sour cream makes it special, I think.
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pecan Pie

Postby MadCow » 04 Sep 2010, 10:40

Sounds different!! But this is my favourite Pecan Pie ... the hit of JD seems to balance out a bit of the sweetness, this is yummy and doesn need flour! :D

Pecan Pie

1 9 - 10” Pre-baked sweet pastry case
3 Eggs – lightly beaten
200g Caster Sugar
200g Pourable golden syrup
2 tbsp Melted Butter
1 tsp Vanilla extract
25ml Jack Daniels Whisky
150g Whole pecan nuts

Preheat oven to 160°C.

In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, sugar, syrup, butter, vanilla and Jack Daniels until well blended.
Stir in the pecans.
Pour mixture into the pastry case.
Bake for approx 50 minutes or until set.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 8 servings.
MadCow

Re: Pecan Pie

Postby Steve » 04 Sep 2010, 21:30

Hell yeah I love Pecan Pie :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Desserts