First run on the BBQ

If you have been to a barbecue event and have some great pictures feel free to post them here!

First run on the BBQ

Postby BradfordBantam » 20 May 2014, 14:04

So this weekend, whilst the sun was shining I decided to give my new barbecue its first run out. Its a 5-grill gas Banquet unit and its HUGE!

I've spent a lot of time reading the forums here so I knew the first thing I had to do was give my ribs a good rub -

ImageIMG_20140517_102146 by bradfordbantam_01, on Flickr

The rub was loosely based on a rub in the Pitt Cue book. After 24 hours they were put on the grill, with both left and right grills lit and this sat in the middle. I had a smoke box off to the side...

ImageIMG_20140517_103442 by bradfordbantam_01, on Flickr

Look how shiny clean it looks! Didn't stay like that for long.

Now this is where I failed - no pics of the final ribs. However we do have pics of Moink Balls....

ImageIMG_20140517_181115 by bradfordbantam_01, on Flickr

They went down a treat; I rolled the meatballs in Butt Rub prior to adding the bacon.

And this is the grill in full cooking mode -

ImageIMG_20140517_192023 by bradfordbantam_01, on Flickr

All in all, not a bad cooking day and no reports of any fatalities!
BradfordBantam
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: First run on the BBQ

Postby CHokKA » 20 May 2014, 15:18

Damn that looks delicious! How were the ribs?

I might have to pick up the Pitt Cue book. I have a few Steven Raichlen books and also one called Slow Fire, the rubs in those are awesome.
CHokKA
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First run on the BBQ

Postby BradfordBantam » 21 May 2014, 09:14

To be fair to the ribs - and it was my fault not theirs! - the bark on them was quite crisp!

I again used a marinade from the Pitt Cue book (highly recommended btw - provides everything from drinks to desserts and everything in between) but not having all the ingredients meant that it wasn't as sweet as it probably should have been - it smelt quite vinegary although didn't taste it once cooked.

I probably left them on the grill slightly too long, especially when I then foiled them and left them on the warming shelf. So - the outsides were tough but the inners were nice and soft and meaty.

The moink's were probably the favourite on the day - think they'll be a staple on the bbq in future!
BradfordBantam
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Barbecue Gallery