homemade rubs

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

homemade rubs

Postby mikey » 25 Sep 2011, 15:00

Lets see what people have got bubbling and smoking away
I know its more top secret than the colonels chicken recipe, so I'm going first
this is it's 4 incarnation (there was quite alof of fiddling about with cinamon v2+v3 its gone now)

all in table spoons:

3 white sugar
2 mixed mustard seed (3 mustard mash)
1.5 onion powder (can't seem to get big bags of this now? pita)
1 garlic powder
3/4 sea salt
3/4 dry thyme
3/4 dry majoram
3/4 white pepper
3/4 black pepper
3/4 all spice
1/2 powder bay leaf

I use this alot for pork leg and tend to vary the flavour of the chips to mix things up.
I've tried mixing it up with olive oil a a wet rub with almost no success -it clumps, I tend to buy ready mix wet rubs.
So I think its time to leave this alone and to start the calculations and trials for a serious homemade wet rub
All recipes welcome.
Aswell as any comments, are people making different rubs for all sorts of different recipes or like me trying to perfect 'the one'. Also overall I've had better results with dry rubs I think the flavour goes in further for large lumps of meat. Any suggestions ? brine perhaps.
cheers Mike
mikey
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: homemade rubs

Postby bencops » 25 Sep 2011, 21:06

bencops

Postby joker smoker » 25 Sep 2011, 23:07

I appreciate and understand your diiculties in obtaining bulk packs of onion powder/ salt / granules and therefore recommend trying http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herb ... at_22.html as a solution to your problem.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 26 Sep 2011, 05:48

joker smoker wrote:I appreciate and understand your diiculties in obtaining bulk packs of onion powder/ salt / granules and therefore recommend trying http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herb ... at_22.html as a solution to your problem.

Thanks from me for this link, I normally use bookers but have been let down a lot recently even on run of the mill things like paprika!! There's loads of bulk suppliers online but these seem good value for money
JEC

Postby keith157 » 16 Nov 2011, 11:55

JEC wrote:
joker smoker wrote:I appreciate and understand your diiculties in obtaining bulk packs of onion powder/ salt / granules and therefore recommend trying http://www.cotsherb.co.uk/culinary-herb ... at_22.html as a solution to your problem.

Thanks from me for this link, I normally use bookers but have been let down a lot recently even on run of the mill things like paprika!! There's loads of bulk suppliers online but these seem good value for money

Hi JEC did you try them and if so what was the quality like????
keith157

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces