Thoughts please?

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Thoughts please?

Postby MarkE » 20 Dec 2011, 15:50

hi all,

I'm thinking of injecting a topside of beef for Xmas. This is my first attempt at injecting so anything could happen! I'm thinking of using some bourbon, finely chopped garlic and a bit of butter and a bit of brown sugar, combined in a pan and heated until the sugar melts and the alchol has burnt off the bourbon. Might include a dash of cayenne pepper as well

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Will it be either a masterpiece or a disaster? All views welcome
MarkE
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Thoughts please?

Postby clairbare » 20 Dec 2011, 15:57

We have not cooked any beef (other than brisket) and I won't comment on what you are attempting to do as such - except the chopped garlic MAY get stuck in your syringe - you may be better with garlic powder?? Others with more beef experience will soon be along with advice
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby MarkE » 20 Dec 2011, 15:59

hi Clair,

thanks for that. I forgot to mention that I was going to strain the finished liquid to remove any bits of garlic.
MarkE
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby clairbare » 20 Dec 2011, 16:03

:D you probably wouldnt have needed to say it either likely i was just having a blonde moment ;)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 21 Dec 2011, 13:18

IMHO good British beef shouldn't need injecting, it should be moist enough. Please bear in mind I'm speaking for conventional oven cooking. I've never done a joint of beef low n slow on a barbecue so good luck and let us know how it goes, with pics as well. Out of sheer noseyness how big a bit of beef is it?
keith157

Postby joker smoker » 21 Dec 2011, 14:49

to get the flavours you are looking for this is what I would do.
1. Make an injection marinade using Knorr Marco Pierrre stock pots [1x beef and 1x herb] maybe a splash of L&P.
2. Rub beef with sea salt, garlic/ onion granules, cayenne and freshly ground black pepper
3.Bring smoker up to 325F using oak for flavour.
4.Place topside in a roasting tray and cook until about 135F internal [ for rare beef}
5. Remove from smoker and rest for 30 mins
6. Take au jus and reduce with bourbon. Maybe emulsify with butter if you so please.
7.Taste au jus, season and pour over sliced beef.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MarkE » 21 Dec 2011, 16:51

thanks for the input! I'll report back on how it went and hopefully take some pics (if I remember and I'm sober enough!)
MarkE
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces