Homemade sauces

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Re: Homemade sauces

Postby aris » 31 Jan 2013, 20:36

Well, you should see the tins of purée at Costco and booker! Recipes should give specific volumes or weights.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 01 Feb 2013, 10:17

It's about time I gave something back to this forum :D

Here's mine, we make it in big batches and it keeps quite well, but you do have to shake it a bit after a few weeks. It always goes down very well

2.6kg heinz ketchup
1.2kg dark brown muscovado sugar
48g smoked paprika
24g garlic powder
18g onion powder
2tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup (63ml) cider vinegar

Directions:
Pour ketchup into pan, put on a low heat. When warming up add half the sugar and mix, then the rest of the other ingredients and mix. Once mixed, add the rest of the sugar and mix

We have tried it with other ketchup and it just isn't the same so it's always Heinz now, sometime put a 1/2 cup of rub in with it too, you'll need a big pan though
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 01 Feb 2013, 11:22

Ketchup? That's cheating :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Nick » 04 Feb 2013, 11:41

BBQFanatic wrote:This is popular in our house -

http://bbqfanatics.co.uk/2010/06/apple-chipotle-bbq-sauce.html

Tried this out at the weekend; used 350g of tomato puree and added home smoked & dried scotch bonnets. Worked a treat and I now have enough BBQ sauce to last me a while! I used extra apple juice (forgot to get apples), and added 2 tsp of liquid smoke as I wasn't happy with the amount of smokiness coming through the chillies. 8-)
Nick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 04 Feb 2013, 21:19

I use passata as a starting point, or tinned tomatoes put through the blender with some paste/purée. Then add te usual suspects - vinegar, sugar (brown, white or molasses or honey) garlic powder, spices, etc. if going down the blender route, you can add an onion or two and whizz it up well. If you do ths, it needsa nice long cook down.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jonjo » 13 Mar 2013, 12:32

If you're looking for a thick sauce I really recommend Maseca,

It's like a thicker milled cornflour, used loads in mexican cooking, you can pick it up a good health food store or online.

You make a slurry of it with water (much like cornflour) and cook it off for a couple of minutes.

Or if you want to get heston about it, try some AGAR flakes. this will set the sauce but if you then blend and heat it it will melt back and give a wonderful thickness!

Both of these are nicer than xanthan gum!
Jonjo
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces