American chili powder

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

American chili powder

Postby smitty » 26 Jan 2013, 21:25

Reading through a lot of US rub recipes and they use American chili powder, they say to use chilli con carne powder in the uk, had a quick look online and have only really found Schwartz is this what everyone uses? are there other brands that people prefer or do you make your own?
smitty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: American chili powder

Postby Swindon_Ed » 26 Jan 2013, 22:23

I'll normally use Sainsbury's mild chilli powder as i can then adjust the heat to my liking.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 27 Jan 2013, 11:02

Be aware that the majority of US chilli powder is "cut" so is nowhere near as strong as that available in the UK so follow Ed's advice in using mild. ou can always ramp up the heat with a sauce.
keith157

Postby aris » 27 Jan 2013, 12:22

Kashmiri chilli is a very mild yet flavourful chilli. It also adds lovely colour. You can find it at your local asian grocer.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 27 Jan 2013, 14:26

keith157 wrote:Be aware that the majority of US chilli powder is "cut" so is nowhere near as strong as that available in the UK so follow Ed's advice in using mild. ou can always ramp up the heat with a sauce.

Not sure what you mean by US chilli powder being cut? It's more down to differences in language as although we both speak English there are a number of differences, so when someone in the US talks about chilli powder they're meaning a blend of spices that are used for making chilli, this is normally a mix of paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder & cayenne. When they refer to a pure powders like we are used to over here they'll spell it chillie.

aris wrote:Kashmiri chilli is a very mild yet flavourful chilli. It also adds lovely colour. You can find it at your local asian grocer.

This could be good to try when When you're making your own chilli powder for using in american recipes.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 27 Jan 2013, 16:10

That could explain it Ed, I had read in several books and websites that the UK powders were stronger then the chilli powder in the States. If it's a blend that would explain the milder taste, I know for a fact I couldn't cope with the quantities stated in some recipes if they were UK chilli powders :shock: :oops: .
Thanks for the insight :D
keith157

Postby MrJaba » 28 Jan 2013, 06:43

That would explain a lot of the mouth searingly, tongue shatteringly hot BBQ I've made so far! Thanks for the heads up! :)
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby UKEgger » 29 Jan 2013, 15:30

Having lived in the states the UK versions are stronger for sure, my moving company packed my spices (your not meant to) and my ribs were perfectly spiced until it ran out nd I replaced with sainsbury Chilli and Cayenne.

A lot hotter for sure, I think it might be the Cayenne though, I use like 1/4 of what I was using !
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 29 Jan 2013, 17:52

Does nobody import the American stuff?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 30 Jan 2013, 06:48

you could try the american candy store, I know there are a few other websites that bring stuff over. i am not sure of anyone specifically
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces