Ever thought of caraway seeds ?

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Ever thought of caraway seeds ?

Postby DimTim » 28 May 2013, 13:20

Hi People,

I generally make my sauce from whatever I can lay my hands on in the kitchen but the basic ingredients generally include Ketchup, lemon zest, lemon juice, black treacle, onion, garlic, Worcester Sauce, liquid smoke etc. When digging through the spices I spotted caraway seeds. (caraway seed cake mmmmmm!)! Thought I would throw a few seeds in after bashing them with a pestle and mortar. I was well impressed.

If you have never tasted caraway seeds, the best description I can give is "slightly aniseed-ish" though I'm sure there are better descriptions. You might like to give it a try.

I now have a smoker so things will be different now but how I used my sauce was to boil all the ingreedients up, put some ribs in a slow cooker (in the kitchen). Cover the ribs with the sauce and add water until covered. Slow cook the ribs for 4 hours or so. Take the ribs out and place on an oven dish. Reduce the sauce to a thick sauce, pour over the ribs and place in a hot oven for 20 mins or so. As I said, I now have a smoker so things will be different from here on but if you are stuck the above could help you with your withdrawal symptoms. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Q-ing everyone.

Tim
DimTim
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Ever thought of caraway seeds ?

Postby RobinC » 28 May 2013, 19:36

There's a weber recipe for Lamb that uses caraway seeds that I've cooked many times, it's a firm family favourite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby UKEgger » 08 Jul 2013, 14:57

When living in the US we didn't like the coleslaw so made our own, the best recipe had caraway seeds dded, its gave it a different dimension.
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Nutty » 13 Jul 2015, 19:51

My gran used to make caraway seed biscuits. Lovely they were :)
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 13 Jul 2015, 21:02

Caraway Bread is very nice and also toasted caraway seeds sauted with a bit of Savoy cabbage is very nice.
But I think my favourite aniseed taste has to be star anise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces