BBQ Sauce thats not over sweet.

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

BBQ Sauce thats not over sweet.

Postby AndyLowNSlow » 09 Sep 2013, 16:24

Hi guys ive been making a few diff sauces to finish my pork with but find alot to sweet im after a smokey sauce has any one any recipes for me?

Edited" Andy I have deleted the 2nd post that was a repeat" Derek.
AndyLowNSlow
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: BBQ Sauce thats not over sweet.

Postby liomer » 16 Sep 2013, 08:19

Andy,

Here's one I use from "Dad Cooks Dinner". You can reduce the sugar content an add a few drops of liquid smoke. Alternatively add a bit more chipotle. :D

Recipe: Espresso Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

Inspired by: Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces

Cooking time: 1 minute

Ingredients

15 ounces ketchup (I prefer non-HFCS ketchup)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 shot espresso (or 2 ounces of coffee)
1 tablespoon pureed chipotle en adobo, or 1 canned chipotle, with adobo sauce, finely minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or substitute cheap yellow mustard)
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Brewing the basic ingredient

Directions

1. Whisk it

Whisk all the ingredients until completely smooth. It’s ready to use right away, but tastes better if it is refrigerated overnight to let the flavors mingle.

The sauce will last for up to two months in the refrigerator.
Notes

Storage: I have a little squirt bottle for BBQ sauce, but it only holds a couple of cups. I pour the rest of the sauce back into the ketchup bottle for long term storage. I write "BBQ Sauce" all over it with a sharpie, to try to avoid confusion, but the kids have learned that they need to check the color of the bottle before they assume it's ketchup.
More sauce: This recipe scales up easily; double or triple the recipe if you have a larger bottle of ketchup.
If you don’t care about high fructose corn syrup, go ahead and get regular ketchup. It will taste the same.
liomer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: BBQ Sauce thats not over sweet.

Postby noxskuses » 11 Oct 2013, 14:26

"..the kids have learned that they need to check the color of the bottle before they assume it's ketchup.."

hahaha Same thing in our house. I normally have several BBQ sauces in the fridge and everything, including plain ketchup, are kept in clear squeezy bottles. There have been several incidents when my daughter or my son's girlfriend (Neither of whom have a high tolerance to chillis) have squirted one of my hot BBQ sauces all over their chips!!!

I can still hear their screams ;)

Pete
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces