List of ingredients for brand name rubs

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Re: List of ingredients for brand name rubs

Postby noxskuses » 22 Oct 2013, 13:57

It's the only rub (and rub recipe) I've seen that doesn't include black pepper.

Bad Byrons Butt Rub primary ingredient is black pepper and traditional Texas brisket and short ribs use a lot of black pepper in the rub - It's normally just salt and pepper as adding things like garlic powder is considered mighty fancy ;)

I've been using a mix of black pepper, white pepper and lemon pepper in my beef rubs, which I think adds a nice flavour.

Here's a typical Texas brisket rub from amazingribs.com;

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Do you make your own rubs Ed?
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Catsup and Mustard » 22 Oct 2013, 14:08

Well that's one of my issues with rubs, I don't get why people use black pepper (it burns) and why they want to cover good meat in onion powder and so on.

My house rub is salt.
I like my meat to taste of meat. Unless your buying poor grade meat then fell free to mask it with powders :D
Catsup and Mustard
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Catsup and Mustard » 22 Oct 2013, 14:09

Ps I see nothing wrong with a good gravy or sauce mind you. 8-)
Catsup and Mustard
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Oct 2013, 17:49

Catsup and Mustard wrote:Well that's one of my issues with rubs, I don't get why people use black pepper (it burns) and why they want to cover good meat in onion powder and so on.

My house rub is salt.
I like my meat to taste of meat. Unless your buying poor grade meat then fell free to mask it with powders

I've never had a problem with pepper burning and i use a lot. Not sure what you're doing but it doesn't sound right.

Just using salt and smoke as the only added flavour to the meat. I've tried bbq like this and found it bland and boring.

Go on live a little, add a bit of chilli powder, garlic powder maybe some thyme or something else :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Oct 2013, 17:53

noxskuses wrote:Do you make your own rubs Ed?

I do both.

I've not had much of a chance to play with any new ones recently as the competition circuit has been keeping me kinda busy this year.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Catsup and Mustard » 22 Oct 2013, 18:00

I guess it was the way I was taught to add pepper at the end. Why I never use,it same with sugar's.

I do like playing around with wet rub's than a dry one. Ill leave the powders to the comps people. :lol:
Catsup and Mustard
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Oct 2013, 18:39

Catsup and Mustard wrote:I guess it was the way I was taught to add pepper at the end. Why I never use,it same with sugar's.

I do like playing around with wet rub's than a dry one. Ill leave the powders to the comps people.

I agree with leaving pepper to the last minute when you're cooking a steak as the high heat will burn it but for cooking low & slow it's fine as when cooking at 225f you're miles away with pepper's burning point which is 325f.

Same thing applies with sugars, as regular sugar has a burning point over 350f so again no worries about it burning when cooking low & slow.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 23 Oct 2013, 05:46

I think C&Ms & BoS's last posts show the difference between cooking for yourself & cooking for a bunch of cranky judges ( ;) ) At home I do a mix of both, I use rubs for bbqs and "traditional" seasonings for the rest of the cooking. That doesn't mean I won't use a rub on a roast. As to tasting the meat, you seem, by your line below & yes I noticed the smiley, to forget the fact that as judges it IS the flavour of the meat we are looking for or we are just tasting the teams desired rub & sauce blend and may as well use Tofu!!. There are a number of the top UK teams who go out of their way to source the best quality meat they can, several use rare breeds and the butcher that Toby uses for the meat boxes he provides for competitions is top class as is the meat.

"I like my meat to taste of meat. Unless your buying poor grade meat then fell free to mask it with powders :D"
keith157

Postby noxskuses » 23 Oct 2013, 09:17

I can't imagine eating BBQ without a spicy bark created by the rub. There's always plenty of pure meat flavours to be enjoyed inside. Best of both worlds IMHO but each to their own :)
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 23 Oct 2013, 09:38

Well put :D
keith157

PreviousNext

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces