What ingredient boosts the natural flavour of meat?

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

What ingredient boosts the natural flavour of meat?

Postby Vic. » 10 Apr 2011, 15:06

I made a pork roast yesterday (no photos, too hungry :) ) I got 3 distinct levels of flavour, 1st was a sweet flavour followed by the smoke, then the heat of the rub kicked in as I got into the pork meat. Instead of finishing with the heat I would like to replace that with an intense flavour of pork......What way would you do that and what ingredient would you use?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: What ingredient boosts the natural flavour of meat?

Postby Vic. » 10 Apr 2011, 18:56

DrSweetsmoke wrote: Thing is with levels there isn't a way to swap them around because our tongues are not designed that way.

the last item you put on the meat can be the first thing to hit your tastebuds. (well it was for me) I put a rub on the pork, smoked it for an hour, cooked it for 2 more, then sprayed and cooked it with concentrated apple juice for another hour......now when I ate it, the levels I put on the flavouring definately came through in the reverse sequence.

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Now you can leave out the pepper (heat) or reduce it and hit it hard with MSG to make the pork more pronounced. careful with the amounts you use and when you add it as it can give a nastiness if abused.
good call, might try to inject it....never thought I'd get into this smoking business this much :lol:
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: What ingredient boosts the natural flavour of meat?

Postby Vic. » 11 Apr 2011, 18:27

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Seriously though getting the levels right isn't a easy thing to do, pepper actually mellows over time during the cooking process and becomes less pronounced on the tongue.

Do you think it worth my while trying to compete in a comp if I adapt my smoker for charcoal, am I on the right track bt talking about levels?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces