Dry Rub or Paste

A place for all your seasonings and sauces.

Dry Rub or Paste

Postby dieselracer13 » 01 May 2011, 09:25

I have been scouring the internet for a nicer Jerk Seasoning and have found 2 or 3 that look promising and the nicest is a paste; however being new to this game how does a paste cook up on the smoker compared with a dry rub. Any advise would be greatly appreciated?

Regards

Mark
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Dry Rub or Paste

Postby All Weather Griller » 01 May 2011, 09:54

I must admit, I haven't used a paste either. Although, when you've rubbed ribs enough and let them stand, you pretty much end up with a paste.
All Weather Griller

Postby Vic. » 02 May 2011, 18:10

I let my ribs marinade in the rub overnight, I inject the pork butt to make it juicier as its on for a few hours longer
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 02 May 2011, 19:27

The only risk with a paste is that you'll end up with a kind of sludge on the meat after it's cooked. However, depending on the paste and how much you work it in, this should be avoidable.

Be careful with when you rub ribs too. If you leave ribs overnight in a salt-based rub, they will cure and you end up with bacon ribs :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dieselracer13 » 03 May 2011, 07:25

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give the paste a try and see how it works out.

Cheers, Mark
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 03 May 2011, 08:55

Steve wrote:The only risk with a paste is that you'll end up with a kind of sludge on the meat after it's cooked. However, depending on the paste and how much you work it in, this should be avoidable.

Be careful with when you rub ribs too. If you leave ribs overnight in a salt-based rub, they will cure and you end up with bacon ribs :lol:

As you probably know, Steve, bacon ribs are available on Wigan market [and hardly anywhere else that I know of outside of old Lancashire] and are a fantastic addition to pit beans of any kind but must be smoked without any rub and you should also add less salt to your beans
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Rubs, Marinades & Sauces