Pitt Cue Co - Va Va Voom

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Pitt Cue Co - Va Va Voom

Postby BBQFanatic » 13 Jan 2012, 20:14

Restuarant: Pitt Cue Co

On Monday evening Ben and myself were privileged to be invited to a preopening night at Pitt Cue Co’s new home (and its not a van under a bridge). On first impressions, let me just say, Barbecoa, Bodeans, best to pack you bags and ship out, there is a new BBQ Sheriff in town and its called Pitt Cue Co…. bang bang.

On entering the restaurant we were greeted to a polished concrete floor, a tricked out bar with all the Rye and Bourbon a man could ever want. The selection of ales and whiskey could lead to some seriously long and dangerous evenings propping up the counter. Whilst sipping on our ales, the allure of sweet smoke beckoned down the stairs to the basement restaurant below. We couldnt resist and plunged downstairs to be seated in a compact, but comfortable restaurant.

We quickly jumped into some sides whilst making our decision, and we sampled the smoked crispy chicken wings that were tasty, drenched in a homemade tomato based wing sauce which was mighty fine. The wings needed a tad more crispiness, but were dispatched shortly. The little surprise was the pickled celery, something of a flavour sensation. The other side was the crispy shiitake mushrooms. The easiest way to describe these beauties, is to think of them as the ultimate homage, to the humble gilled funghi. These bad boys were pickled then deep fried and served piping hot… WOW.

On reviewing the menu which is well laid out and has nothing over £9, we decided to go for one of each of the meats. The menu dictates you can choose one meat and one vege side, but for additional sheets you can get additional meats and sides. Great concept, more meat. On the back of this we decided to go for a taste of all the meats (St Louis Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket and Beef Ribs). In addition we sampled the Burnt Ends Mash, Beans and Slaw. The food was quickly served, delicately laid out on plain white platters. What took us by surprise was the quality of the presentation, which was stylish (BBQ restaurants of London, time to sit up and take note….). This was short lived, the food was too good to stare at, it needed to be devoured.

St Louis Ribs – The ribs were tasty, had a good bite through and were sweety and sticky. The kicker for me was the slightly seared skin married to the beautiful glaze…. The ribs were possibly a touch undersmoked, but as the team pointed out they were still working on the smoke recipe. For the majority of BBQ Punters, these will be better than anything they have tasted.

Pulled Pork – The pulled pork was well pulled, drenched in a beautiful glossy sauce that really brought the flavours to the forefront. We would have loved some bark, but the pulled pork hit the mark and is the best we have tasted at any BBQ restaurant this side of the pond.

Brisket – The brisket was classy, had a great smoke ring and the flavour was excellent. Not competition brisket in that it was too tender, but on the tongue it was moist, flavoursome and we WILL be back to sample this on a bun with slaw

Beef Ribs – The best I have, full stop. These were the highlight of the evening for us. If they were being served in the Midwest, there would have been a queue down the street and all the way up Carnaby street. Rich, sassy, bold and melt in your mouth ribs… Quality meat, cooked perfectly with just the right amount of smoke. WOW. Double order next time please…

But I am not being fair, Tom, Neil and the rest of the team have served up some quality accompaniments to BBQ which was a bit of a revelation to the taste buds. These guys are stars at pickling, and the pickles absolutely popped. The flavours marry so well with the BBQ and the rest of the sides. The beans had flavour but were a tad on the dry side, we prefer our BBQ Beans struggling to stay afloat, swimming in a decadent bath of brown sugar, BBQ Sauce and burnt ends. However, the lads had another trick up their sleeve. The BBQ Burnt End Mash was something that created the perfect matrimony of both side of the Atlantic (ie a George Clooney and Keira Knightley kind of marriage), dirtyliscious crispy burnt ends, sweet, tender, delicately placed on a cloud of the fluffiest cheesy mash mankind has tasted. WOW. Yes – we will be back for you!

We finished off with the Snickers Mess dessert, an amalgamation of cream, toffee, chocolate, peanut butter and meringue (and it seemd like a whole lot more!) that creates a dessert explosion with every mouthful. First class… how can you go wrong.

Rating – 4 out of 5, the only thing holding it back from a perfect score was a slight kiss of smoke. To be fair it was the teams first serving and we are being a bit harsh. Would we go back again? Hell Yes. Real Q’ with great portion sizes and good prices. GO GO GO
Value – Excellent, no dish over £10. Expect to pay £20-£30.
Comment – We will be back, very very soon. The best BBQ in london!Tom, Neil and his team are hero’'s… BBQ Hero’s
BBQFanatic

Re: Pitt Cue Co - Va Va Voom

Postby British BBQ Society » 14 Jan 2012, 11:38

Thanks for the review guys! For more reviews check out the BBQ Fanatics Blog here http://bbqfanatic.blogspot.com/
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 14 Jan 2012, 13:15

Nice to see Cuan and Ben have their review direct on the forum. Their journalism is both eloquent and informative and I always look forward to their reviews on their blogspot. Great also to hear that Tom and the boys are doing such a good job down in Soho. I can't wait to find the time to get down there and eat, Well done everybody! :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby chokethechicken » 02 Mar 2012, 13:08

Finally managed to visit this place yesterday for lunch.

I ordered the beef ribs and paid £5 extra for the pulled pork. We managed to secure a a couple of seats in basement (wow, this area is 'compact comfy'!). Anyway the food - I really enjoyed the pickles and slaw. The pulled pork was lovely, moist and flavoursome but I was disappointed with the beef ribs (of which there were three). I guess I was just unlucky but they had hardly any meat on them at all. Then to really rub it in a chap a couple of seats away ordered the same and his ribs were fantastic; really chunky with lovely beef meat almost surrounding the entire rib bone. Gutted. :cry:

I'll probably stick to the take-away in future as I just felt a little too enclosed in the seating area downstairs.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 02 Mar 2012, 14:16

That's not cool, portion control :roll:
Every customer should be made to feel like a king.
Did you complain on the lack of meat?
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 02 Mar 2012, 15:20

No I didn't complain because of two reasons at the time.

1) Unless the food and service is terrible, I personally find it difficult to complain in a restaurant. It's such a confined environment in the eating area - I would be very concious of drawing attention to myself and being the 'complainer'. :? Plus I have all sorts of nasty thoughts of the chief being informed in the kitchen and then he/she gobbing on my food!! (Too much watching Road Trip??!)
2) It took quite some time for the food to arrive in the first place and I suspected that there would be a further delay if I raised a complaint about the lack of meat. I had a lunch buddy as well and he was already well in to his pork ribs and pulled pork.

Shame really as I was all hyped up for my first experience there. :cry:

Oh and one more thing - some customers were eating their ribs with a knife and fork. WTF!!!! :evil: :evil:

I think the restaurant should make it a tad more clear on the menu that a hands-on approach is welcome.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 02 Mar 2012, 18:51

I'm afraid it's a sign of the times, I remember when you had to ask for a knife and fork at Nandos, now you're frowned on for using your hands, no cleansing towels these days either :(
keith157

Postby chokethechicken » 03 Mar 2012, 15:44

Well, I managed to obtain one of their Brisket rolls with pickles today for £6.50.
Photo to follow..

Size wise it was slightly small. The bun was fantastic; slightly sweet an super soft which balanced nicely with the crunchy pickles and tender smoked brisket. Again, portion wise I was disappointed for £6.50 but i suppose it is in the middle of soho. (I went in with a mind full of images consisting of a roll absolutely stuffed with succulent bbq'd meat. As that is what I'm used to on those US BBQ documentaries). Maybe they will start dishing out more meat once the place starts to roll in the profits!

I feel I get more for my money from nearby Bodeans so will probably be sticking to there in the future. I know it has mixed reviews but the majority of my experiences have been positive.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 05 Mar 2012, 07:50

chokethechicken wrote:
I feel I get more for my money from nearby Bodeans so will probably be sticking to there in the future. I know it has mixed reviews but the majority of my experiences have been positive.

I've booked up to go to the Tower Hill one this Saturday, have you ever been there Choke?
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 05 Mar 2012, 11:26

Big_Fat_Dan wrote:
I've booked up to go to the Tower Hill one this Saturday, have you ever been there Choke?

Hi Dan,

I have only ever visited the Soho branch since they opened.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Restaurant Reviews