God Bless Kerb

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

God Bless Kerb

Postby ConorD » 27 Mar 2014, 10:56

Figured I plan to eat here at least when they turn up at the Gherkin on a Thursday and given that they are now rotating the fare (Miss P's BBQ was the last 2-3 weeks) a new thread was required.

BBQ Lab are sat outside today and I am planning an early dash there to beat the crowds (which from experience are similar to a biblical plague of locusts in their ability to comsume all in front of them). I will post the results shortly;

So before I go on about the pulled pork I need to state the following - the price for everything was extremely good. The slaw was ok but the "texas caviar" was very nice. The flank steak was awesome and what I will order next time on it's own (finished with a blow torch for every order) and the sauces (sweet and hot) were good as well.

ImageImage

That said the pulled pork is listed as "cooked for 53 hours" 5 of these are in a smoker and then it is vacuum packed and cooked in a water bath for the remaining at 161f. This leads to no smoke ring, little smoke flavour and no bark at all. WATERBATHS HAVE NO PLACE IN BBQ.

It tasted of pork and was "nice" but not bbq'd pulled pork and should not be billed as such.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: God Bless Kerb

Postby keith157 » 28 Mar 2014, 08:17

If it saw a smoker, regardless of how long for, technically I suppose it is bbq'd how it's finished doesn't affect that :(
keith157

Postby ConorD » 28 Mar 2014, 08:23

keith157 wrote:If it saw a smoker, regardless of how long for, technically I suppose it is bbq'd how it's finished doesn't affect that :(

Except any firmness and bark are completely lost by, in essence, stewing it.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby quietwatersfarm » 28 Mar 2014, 10:45

We sous vide a lot of things but never BBQ.

Having said that if they are going to, I would have thought doing it the other way round would be better - finishing on the smoker.
quietwatersfarm
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 28 Mar 2014, 11:14

To be fair, they call themselves "BBQ Lab" - which implies they do alot of experimentation? Sous vide BBQ does sound interesting :lol:
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Restaurant Reviews