Grillstock, Leicester

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Grillstock, Leicester

Postby Crowdedbar » 14 Mar 2016, 18:24

The wife booked a table here to celebrate my birthday last week.
First impressions were ok in as much that there was a reasonable crowd in and there seemed to be a lot of activity from behind the open plan kitchen counters.
I went for the sampler plate (3 different cuts for £18.00) plus a portion of their burnt ends. My wife had the pulled pork roll, my son went for the smokehouse burger and my daughter, a mince chicken roll.
The verdict - it certainly isnt up to the standards of Red's!!
The brisket was nicely cooked and moist but it lacked any smoke ring and it could have been from a pub sunday dinner. The ribs were better with a good smokey taste but were a little dry (maybe from an earlier lunch?). The pulled pork was very wet and had a vinegary after taste - my wife's roll had the same consistency and taste.
My daughters minced chicken roll was quite tasty but it did have quite a spicy kick to it and she didnt manage to eat all of it ( I think that they could definitely mention this on their menu).
My son seems to have made the best choice with his burger that was cooked to perfection and really enjoyed it.
On reflection, it might have been better to travel up to Nottingham and dine at Red's. I dont think that we will be visiting Grillstock again in a hurry - like most popular chains who jump on the current trend bandwagon, they offer a watered down version of an authentic bbq restaurant. Chances are it wont be there in 12 months time. It used to be a Pizza Express before - I rest my case.
Crowdedbar
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Restaurant Reviews