Bodeans Soho 7/11/09

A forum for reviews of bbq restaurants. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: Bodeans Soho 7/11/09

Postby eater of food » 29 Oct 2011, 16:35

Went to Fulham Bodeans.

Had the Chilli con Carne to start, despite getting a vacant stare and "mince" when I asked what meat had gone into it. It was a massive portion, but training from Clair and Lee saw me through. Good but unspectacular. Nothing to compare with Bare and Blue's.

Burnt Ends and Pulled Pork for main, but a mix-up meant I had a full portion of each rather than 1 portion between them. The burnt ends weren't great; very rich and a little fatty, and also lacking any discernable heat or sweetness. They're meant to be sweeties but they didn't really fit the typical Texas barbecue flavour profile.

The pork was excellent. Tender, pulled nicely, and presented without sauce - with the sauces available on the table this was absolutely fine by me; tasted like beautifully smoked pork, but lacked the explosion of heat and sweetness of one-taste judged pulled pork.

BBQ beans were mushy and bitter from being oversmoked, I think.

All in all, not terrible. Probably won't be rushing back though.

ps: Excellent chips, but that's not really the point.
eater of food
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 10 Jul 2012, 10:53

I'll be honest, I like Bodeans. I've been 4 or 5 times. Last was about a week ago. While it is probably not competition quality - it hits the spot, my wife and kids love it, and it is quite reasonably priced considering the location.

We went for my sons birthday, and 4 of us ate for 60 quid including drinks (no alcohol) and tip. To be honest, we could have probably fed 6 people on the quantity of meat we got. It was a struggle to finish (and i'm a big lad) - but we managed.

I'll be honest to say the food does vary in quality. Never had a bad meal there - but some times i've been have been better than others. The beef ribs are particularly nice. My older son likes the burnt ends, and my younger son enjoys the chicken wings kids meal (which is free depending on when you go).

Go for the Boss Hog platter which is for 2 people (realistically it could feed 4). Includes a bit of everything. 3 kinds of ribs including beef, pulled pork, chicken, sausage, burnt ends, and chips.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slatts » 14 Feb 2013, 16:15

Hi

Has anybody been recently??

Looking at going for my birthday, end of April. Just wondering if its up to scratch or even still there, went on there website and tried to book online but the link wouldn't work which made me think if its still open.
Tried all the location links for online booking, don't mind which restaurant we go to either, any thoughts on best one would be great aswell.

Many thanks
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby ConorD » 05 Mar 2013, 08:21

I went to the Tower Hill Bodeans last week with a colleague and instantly loved the smell once we walked in. Not sure I like the darker then necessary basement part of the restaurant but the service was good and quick (given that this was lunch).

I had burnt ends and ribs and and my colleague had a platter of chicken, ribs, pulled pork and a side of burnt ends. The ribs were very dry, as was the chicken but the burnt ends were worth another trip - as was the Chipotle BBQ sauce.

Ribs and burnt ends

Side of burnt ends

Ribs ,pulled pork and chicken

London prices (but no more expensive then eating anywhere else) but apart from the burnt ends I have done better myself.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 05 Mar 2013, 15:52

What time did you go?

I usually share the Boss Hog platter with my family :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ConorD » 05 Mar 2013, 18:17

aris wrote:What time did you go?

I usually share the Boss Hog platter with my family :)

Sat down at 12:30 and was out within about 45 mins. I will go back and prob given the ribs one more go. such a shame as there is nothing better then a good rack ;)
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ConorD » 08 Mar 2013, 19:54

Went back to give it a second go and was really impressed. burnt ends as good as ever and switched to the spare ribs which were beautiful - loads of meat on them, nice bark and falling off the bone. I had the pulled pork as well (and now have the meat sweats :D ) which was nice but not as good at the spare ribs.

My mate had the baby backs again and these were not as dry as last week but still over cooked in my humble opinion.

Some pics;
That is just two ribs....so much meat on them
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 23 Jun 2013, 20:44

I was up in London with the Mrs yesterday and decided to try out Bodeans in Soho. If i'm honest we had headed to Pitt Cue but there were 20 people waiting ahead of us, so we decided to head to Bodeans instead, we didn't go there expecting much but felt we should at least eat there once to see what it was like.

We had a brisket sandwich with sweet potato fries and a burnt end & pulled pork platter which came with slaw and fries.

If i talk about the brisket sandwich first. This i basically a copy of Oklahoma Joe's Z-Man Sandwich so a brisket roll with cheese and onion rings in it. I've had a Z-Man whilst over in KC and sadly this is a poor copy. The annoying thing was that the brisket itself was actually quite good. Still moist with good flavour, taste of smoke and it pulled apart easily. Sadly it was let down by a really cheap and tough bun and an onion ring which was also tough and just tasted of oil.

Moving onto the burnt ends. I tried my first burnt end and i was quite shocked, it was exactly how i cook them. I then try another one and it was just a huge cube of soft fat with a little bit of meat (this is good in my eyes) but then sadly the rest of the burnt ends weren't so good with the rest of them being sorry little dried up cubes of beef which were quite unpleasant to eat.

Finally the pork, this was quite tasteless and really, really dry, so i added some sauce and it was much better, which kind of makes me question why they don't sauce from the start???

Overall 6/10
Swindon_Ed

Postby aris » 24 Jun 2013, 06:43

I take it you were upstairs, rather than downstairs in the 'restaurant'. If you ever go to the restaurant downstairs, try a 'Boss Hog Platter' where you get a bit of everything for two people.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noxskuses » 15 Oct 2013, 08:28

Had the pulled pork in Bodeans Soho last week. Can't fault the quantity, but the quality was severly lacking. Pretty dry and tasteless to be honest with a very light smoke. As I'm really into making rubs, seasonings and sauces, I bought a bottle of their Smoked Hickory BBQ sauce to try out at home, but wished I hadn't. You get an instant hit of smoked hickory powder, then....nothing. The taste and flavours just instantly die in the mouth leaving you with a bland almost watery after taste. Really disappointing.

Pete
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant Reviews