Trailer Smokers

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Trailer Smokers

Postby British BBQ Society » 19 Jun 2011, 15:27

I have seen several discussions taking place on the same subject so thought we should pull it all together. I am now thinking about importing a stick burner, as we already have a Jambo and Superiors on the circuit I am looking for something different, what would people recommend and why?
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trailer Smokers

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Jun 2011, 17:01

I like the look of Pitmaker, they are more than competition trailers (Capacity wise). They can cater for a lot more than a Jambo. They look nice and you can have them modded with LCD TV's sinks etc.

Would be worth a discussion with George Shore I know he is very keen to get one into the UK. he has just shipped a few to Ireland but they will be trailer mounting their own. The width may be an issue for a container.

If you are going for a trailer I have the following tips based on my experience.

Send your own UK Lights and Trailer plug over for fitting,

If the final weight is over 750KG also send over your own Hitch with a coupling that incorporates a hydraulic damper. You may need to get the axle here too as the US only fit electric brakes and these are not road legal in the UK.

The US 2" hitch is fine on my UK towball.
All Weather Griller

Postby British BBQ Society » 19 Jun 2011, 18:07

The pitmaker looks good, but also like the idea of an automatic charcoal feed like the superiors, are there any others out there with an auto feed?
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Jun 2011, 18:42

Well.... Jamie Geer and Walter Stumps have been known to collaborate and apparently there is a bespoke rig doing the rounds with both on:

I don't know of any gravity fed trailers off the top my head.
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Jun 2011, 21:38

I was lucky enough to get a chat with the owner of that one here is one of my pics of it:

All Weather Griller

Postby joker smoker » 20 Jun 2011, 00:18

GATOR PITS !
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 20 Jun 2011, 00:24

I also think we have the knowledge to build a BBBQS pit here in the UK that could kick some ASS! Put our knowledge, resources and caspital together to build a communal pit that we could all use throughout the year.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 20 Jun 2011, 07:10

joker smoker wrote:I also think we have the knowledge to build a BBBQS pit here in the UK that could kick some ASS! Put our knowledge, resources and caspital together to build a communal pit that we could all use throughout the year.

LIKE :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JEC » 20 Jun 2011, 08:41

I like the idea of there being a stick burner on the UK circuit it would add another dimension to BBQ, being that this forum is about promoting BBQ in the UK do you not think it would be better to have it made by a UK based company to help promote our own ability, if you have to buy it ftom the US and then import it then it is likely to put people off and dilute the message of the BBQS?! Maybe it's just me.
JEC

Postby Steve » 20 Jun 2011, 10:18

I don't think that it would "put people off", rather imported pits create a bit of interest and intrigue. Let's face facts, other than those using custom built cookers over here, very few will be using something from a British company or manufactured in Britain and I woudl say custom pits would be more likely to put people off as most people don't have the design or fabrication skills to make their own cooker and even those who do tend to end up with cookers that aren't too pretty (with the odd exception).

Does using a Weber dilute the message of BBBQS?

P.S. there are also stick burners on the UK circuit, John's cactus Jacks and Adie's Jambo to name two.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews