Trailer Smokers

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Trailer Smokers

Postby JEC » 20 Jun 2011, 11:20

I'm not sure I was clear, I have no issue with non-UK manufactured products being used, my point was that it would be good to promote products that are easily sourced within the UK without having to import them yourself. With regards to the other point of stick burner on the circuit I was merely reiterating Toby's original point on increasing the variety of smokers doing the rounds, with Adie's Jambo most people miss the fact it burns wood as they are taken aback by the paint job and level of detail, let-alone it's a BBQ that you have to tow :lol:
JEC

Postby British BBQ Society » 20 Jun 2011, 12:46

I think that is Steves point, it is not easy to source UK made smokers, and if you do find them they use thin gauge steel. When a manufacturer appears and can demonstrate a good product then I am sure it will take off, as long as our high material and labour costs don’t make in inaccessible.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 20 Jun 2011, 13:19

I don't think Toby's point was that a stick burner would be something different, rather he wants a different imported cooker. Show most people an iconic stick burner like a CJ and they still wouldn't know it ran on wood, they don't even tend to know where the fire goes... "What it's off to the side :?: " :lol:

On that point Toby, how about a Yoder? :D And you could ship a Yoder pellet grill over for me in the same container :lol:

The only easy to source trailers I know of in the UK are the BBQ mates products (still imported but doen for you). Anything else would have to be custom fabricated or imported yourself.

Although they're not trailers so this comment is slightly of topic, I'll be interested to see how the likes of Kamado Joe, BGE, Louisiana Grills do because other than my BBQ friends, I don't know many people who would consider dropping £1000+ on a BBQ.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 20 Jun 2011, 21:51

Steve wrote:I don't know many people who would consider dropping £1000+ on a BBQ.

Agreed Steve, I don't know many people that would be happy to blow £140 on a decent weber kettle. There is a chicken and egg situation with the BBQ scene in the UK. The mentality is that BBQ is burning burgers and sausages on the three weekends we get some sun is where it's at.

There will never be sufficient money in the fabrication of smokers here in the UK to make it worth the investments of metalwork shops etc. The guys that built mine have expressed an interest in building custom smokers for those that want them so, let me explain the cost of my clone to me to you.

Steel £740
Insulation £140
Stainless Hinges £35
Rope Seal £20
Miscellanous (Handles, Ball Valves, Wheels Etc) £240
Labour £320

Total Cost: 1495 (This is cost, Without the pain job)

Now in order for Steve to turn this into a business he would need to be able to make sufficient profit to part cover rent, business rates, Employee NI, Employers Tax Contributions etc etc. We chewed over a retail price at around £2400 + Vat (£2880) Going back Steve (Heyes') point I still can't see who will spend that.

If we consider this has no trailer, no axles (Would need to be braked) then it's easy to see the cost. I think Nerius sells his big rig (Not the train) for nearly 5k. I'm not sure how many of these he has sold to date.

Plus, building to other peoples specs brings it's own problems. What happens if he builds you a smoker to the spec you asked for and it doesn't burn efficiently or your smoke levels aren't what you want etc etc etc. He would need to have a customer service side. Something he would prefer to avoid!

Compare this to his current revenue stream, fitting recovery bodies to transit chasis, he can turn one around in three days and bring in 5k, no complaining the ramp is too steep or the kia picanto doesn't look right up there blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, he can and will do BBQ's even clone a Jambo, but it will cost. The buyers just need to realise that they will be fitted in around his real jobs.

I think if the UK circuit continues to grow at the same rate then more people will perhaps invest in bigger cookers. I would hate to see circuit snobbery like you see on the Caravan Club sites. I think we should all bear in mind that there are some of the best cookers (Rigs) on the planet doing the rounds on the KCBS circuit in the states and Harry Soo kicks their asses time and time again.

There is some good work going on in the UK but it is and will probably only be at a local mates rates arrangement. Take John Hargate, Berties, Al, Nerius, Neil's Dad, My guys for example. All are what we would refer to as tinkerers and are playing with fabrication nothing on a commercial scale but who knows.

These are just my thoughts, but I think importing tried and tested smokers is gonna be the way for sometime to come. I would loved to see a UK Brand, if anyone is interested then my Welder guy is happy to build them under the brand Sherwood Smokers. But I won't tell him to cancel to ford contract just yet :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jun 2011, 07:00

Here is a few that are advertised in May's Bullsheet:

Meadow Creek www.meadowcreekbarbecue.com
American Barbecue Systems www.americanbarbecuesystems.com
Southern Pride www.southernpride.com
Tucker Cooker Co. www.tuckercooker.com
Peoria Custom Cookers www.peoriacustomcookers.com
Yoder Smokers www.yodersmokers.com
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 21 Jun 2011, 08:39

I've been looking at the Klose offsets for a while now, and everyone seems to say good things about them.

He also does trailers which can be configured to your spec', I think he's even done some custom stuff if you're wanting something really unique.

http://www.bbqpits.com/
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 21 Jun 2011, 09:01

Klose pits are awesome. If I was in the Market for a large offset, that would be my choice.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 21 Jun 2011, 10:10

I think i'm in love!!!

Swindon_Ed

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Jun 2011, 10:23

Billiant!!
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Highland Hopper » 22 Jun 2011, 13:49

Good Afternoon,

I am new to this but am discussing the prospect of importing a trailer from east texas smokers with Clint Shokey. I plan to use it as an add on to my excisting business. I am excited at the prospect of smoking and slow cooking but could some one let me know if the demand from the public is for grilled food such as burgers and sausages. I really need to determine what type of trailer I need to buy. At the moment I have a chip shop and restaurant. I am based in the North of Scotland. I plan to visit highland games and civic events up here. I have to admit I am really impressed with the level of knowledge and enthusiasm there is for BBQ and smoked food down south. At a later date I was wondering If i could visit some outfits and learn from you profesionals.
Highland Hopper
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews