Who's got a Cobb

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Who's got a Cobb

Postby JEC » 05 Sep 2011, 19:30

Just wondering if many of you have a Cobb, and if so do you use it much? Thinking of keeping up my habit over the winter and like the idea of a smaller unit I can run from the back door when the weather turns nasty, the WSM and One Touch will be my main units still but think the Cobb will add to my collection nicely.
JEC

Re: Who's got a Cobb

Postby oddsocks » 05 Sep 2011, 20:29

i've just looked at their website, curious little item innit? would be very nice for our camping and canoeing trips, but don't know if i'd use one in the garden
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 06 Sep 2011, 05:41

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Cobbs ae good little cookers but try and hang on a few weeks as there is smething else coming out that pretty much like the Cobb. :mrgreen:
I mostly use my Frontier in the winter.

Interesting, any hints on who makes it?
JEC

Postby JEC » 06 Sep 2011, 18:19

DrSweetsmoke wrote:I do know someone that sells Cobbs ( you may have met him at Grillstock) and as soon as I have the information on the new one I'll get the info to you. 8-) We may be using them in Australia end of the year but should have more info in a week or two on the little guy. It sounds like a great little unit.

That's not too bad then, I was going to buy something between now and the end of September. I've seen loads of YouTube clips of people doing ribs etc... so should tide me over for those weekends when it's just not desirable to be outside playing with my other units.
JEC

Postby Big Mick » 20 Sep 2011, 20:34

I had a Cobb but got rid of it because clean-up is a real pain, the contents of the "moat" all mix in with the ash when you tip it out and make an unholy mess. Having said that, it did cook well, if a little slow, and the quality is second to none as it is all stainless. I replaced it with a Weber Smokey Joe Gold and, although it's not perfect, prefer it to the Cobb. There is a lot of negative stuff on TVWBB about the Smokey Joe Gold (the air flow in the Silver is supposedly better), but I've had some great success on camping trips with mine - and it's cheaper than the Cobb!
Big Mick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby philnewts » 24 Sep 2011, 07:33

I have used my Cobb for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. I recently took it to Rudgwick and cooked MOINKs and Bacon Explosion on it. You will not be disappointed, one of my favourite BBQs.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Impeed » 28 Oct 2011, 13:34

Have had a Cobb for a number of years. Its a great little unit but starting to fall apart as the old style plastic surround is now cracking and a big crack has appeared in the fire bowl under where you put the briquettes. Cleaning was a total nightmare as you get black burned sludge in the moat which is quite nasty.

But give it its dues its brilliant at what it does and is sooo portable. Would I get another one ...probably not as have worked out how to get a pro-q frontier (with 1 stacker only) in the car with all our camping gear. I know its not tiny like the Cobb but its a damn site easier to clean and a lot more cooking space. Strangely enuff it doesnt really take up much more space than the Cobb as I packed the lid and base with all the grills water pan and other bits and pieces inside, with the stacker ring on top carefully around the lid. The only downside is that the ProQ will use a lot more charcoal.

All in all we have used the Cobb a hell of a lot and its had a good long life due to the quality of the build.
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews