Grenadier Fire Lighter - Hot Hot Hot

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Grenadier Fire Lighter - Hot Hot Hot

Postby Impeed » 28 Oct 2011, 16:56

Hi Everyone

http://www.grenadier.co.uk/index.php

These have been around for years but I havn't seen them mentioned on here before.
I picked an old one up at a car boot sale without a stand and must say it does exactly what it says on the box, lights a coal fire in about 2 to 5 mins.

Have a look at the link above. Bit more expensive new as mine cost me a fiver.
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Grenadier Fire Lighter - Hot Hot Hot

Postby wade » 28 Oct 2011, 19:44

One downside is that it needs to be plugged into the mains. If you can come round and explain to my wife why I need to move the BBQ nearer to the house then that would be greatly appreciated :-).

I must admit that when in a hurry I somply use a propane or Map Gas blow torch. When not in a rush I use a standard chimney starter with firelighters.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Impeed » 29 Oct 2011, 09:14

You are right Wade, it does need mains, we just plug it into a extension cable. Mostly just use it for starting the indoors fireplace tho. Maybe they should do one with rechargeable batteries. A pyromaniacs dream.

It generates incredible heat and acts like an electric bellows once you turn the element off. Built like a tank.
I was most impressed that lighting coal which can be very difficult if its damp, it takes in its stride and 5 mins later ...fire.

Blow torches rock for fire lighting :0) and similarly chimney starter is my usual method as its quick and with 3 sheets of newspaper stuffed up it has never failed, although I do keep a box (unopened) of firelighters just in case it defeats me one day.
Impeed
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 29 Oct 2011, 09:28

Firelighters - I think we all keep that little dark secret in our cupboards for emergency use ;)
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Reviews