Custom Build - To frame or not to frame?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Custom Build - To frame or not to frame?

Postby SmokeShack » 05 Nov 2011, 11:31

Hi everybody

I'm currently just putting plans together for an insulated smoker, similar to a pitmaker vault.

Whilst chatting with the guy who's going to make it for me, he suggested building a frameless cabinet.

There are obvious weight benefits, but I was wondering about rigidity. Has anybody got any experience of such a build?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/info.

Derek
SmokeShack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Custom Build - To frame or not to frame?

Postby JEC » 05 Nov 2011, 21:29

A correctly made body without a frame will be more than adequate for a cabinet style smoker, there are massive benefits on the weight front and providing the fabricator has all of the equipment required then it could save you money too. Is this being built from a CAD model, if it is then the plans can be loaded in to the CNC cutting machine as an IGES and then bent in to shape and welded up in double quick time. My only advice would be not to try making the door(s) without a frame they will likely bend over time and you may have problems sealing them against the main body
JEC

Return to Barbecue Reviews