Homebrew pit controller

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Homebrew pit controller

Postby nwaring » 22 Aug 2012, 22:16

aris wrote:Way above my skill level!

I seriously doubt it... having built one it honestly was not that difficult at all. I have some basic IT skills (i.e. I know what an IP address is and how to setp port forwarding on a router)... but the LinkMeter / HeaterMeter instructions are pretty easy. You just need some basic soldering skills.

aris wrote:I think I will be using et-73 probes - there is already some code flying about. Feel free to post any info you have - may always bea good reference.

I'll post the Stenhart co-efficients when I'm back home and can look them up

Nick
nwaring
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 23 Aug 2012, 05:03

By above my skill level - I meant the coding. I could not code that myself from scratch. Sure I could follow a recipe though and copy what they do. My arduino project is much simpler code wise.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nwaring » 23 Aug 2012, 14:15

ah ok... understand.

Beauty is that the code is taken care of by Bryan... Whilst I can read through the code and understand what it's doing you don't actually need to amend / write any code to get it working. You just download the sketch and upload to the atmega via the arduino IDE. https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/tree/master/arduino

Some people then go further and start to amend the code themselves but Bryan makes a updates (inctoducing addtional features) on a regular basis. The latest area he's updating is the alarm code which will allow (for example) the blower to reduce the pit temp as a cook nears the food target tem.

Some features are taking a little longer to appear... but that's because a lot of the focus has switched onto getting a Raspberry Pi version up and running
nwaring
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews